Anybody home?

Information for first time users - registration, posting pictures, testing, suggestions, etc.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Anybody home?

Post by Page 83 »

Hey, there's snow all over the place, from Canada to the Chesapeake! Surely some one is home playing on the net and dreaming about sailing, besides those of us with enough sense to BE on the boat in some nice warm place!

What has all this idle time done for the art and science of owning a PDQ? What have you seen that's interesting? What are you working on?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Anybody home?

Post by amytom »

I noticed someone wrote up a thank you to Harken in Practical Sailor this month. They were on a PDQ near Montserrat when the mountain became angry. They mentioned being covered in 1 to 3 inches of ash and rock right away.
I was in Antigua when that happened and I've spent quite a bit of time on Montserrat since then. I'd like to hear more of the story if that owner is on the forum.

I also saw our own Drew Frye wrote in for the same issue of the magazine.

Is that the kind of stuff you're looking for Sandy?
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Sandy,

After looking at Mike & Rebecca's Bahama adventures and waking up to a 51 degree boat last week - we are now in "Come On Spring" mode...

This is II the Max with version 2 of winter wear pre-heat shrink (it's nice and tight now with a zipper door)). Last year we only went to the cabin sides and stopped at the mast. It was on the verge of unsafe trying to clear snow from the decks and we really loaded up with snow forward. We also raised the heigth about a foot above the boom - last year there was not enough slope and the cover collected snow which was difficult to clear from inside.

The 51 degree morning was after a 17 degree night - with the propane heater on, the cabin warms up in about 15 minutes (we never run it overnight). For winter heat we have 5 eHeat panels 2 small ones in the aft cabins (head & engine room) - full size ones in the salon and forward cabins - the boat stays about 62 - 67 degrees and the draw is under 15A total - with battery charger set on a timer we average about 18A throuhout the winter. Adding the cover really helps by cutting the wind chill, plus it provides a large dry inside area.

With that last ice sludge blizzard it was very sweet to have the cover shed most of the ice and shovelling the forward deck only took about a half hour.

Still... since we can't take off for a season yet --- Come on Spring!!!

Mike & Linda

PS: Our dogs are rebelling this year, when we get ready to head back to the boat on Sunday night what used to be a mad dash underfoot so as not to be left behind is at most a yawn anymore. Basically saying "just leave us some extra kibble, we'll be fine" - "we'll see you on Friday".
Attachments
Version II of Wintering on the Potomac
Version II of Wintering on the Potomac
Photo_010811_002.jpg (217.19 KiB) Viewed 20307 times
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

Sandy,
You must be posted up in Marsh Harbor on Siesta, good for you. Kathy and I will be in Titusville next week finishing up a solar install and then headed to the Keys.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We are working on learning how to Kite Board here in Georgetown, Exuma. :)
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I'll be back in George Town on the 14th for week with Philip and Bridget, and will be sailing Siesta back to the Chesapeake in May. Page 83 is entertaining new suitors here in Annapolis. Where it's cold.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

And it is warm and beautiful here in the Ragged Islands
Don Wilson
Next Exit
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

We're trying to stay warm here. Desert Star is shrink wrapped and we are two weeks from being full-time Annapolis residents. The new house leaks more than the boat... In March we are treating ourselves to a Charter in BVI for a week. James is coming in the Spring to fix the steering. I need to get with Sandy (Sandy: feel free to post the info if you read this) on the end cap part number for the steering cable. We have house project photos at http://desertstarpdq36.blogspot.com.

Can't wait for Spring, can't wait to move to Annapolis, and can't wait to sail!
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD