"stupid" newbie questions--threads

Information for first time users - registration, posting pictures, testing, suggestions, etc.
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

"stupid" newbie questions--threads

Post by lauraj »

I could really use a place to ask kind of random "newbie" questions that most people would find mundane, but that are really needed the first few weeks on a new boat.
could we get a new thread?
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: "stupid" newbie questions--threads

Post by amytom »

Ask away. We were all newbies at one point and there are very few stupid questions.
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

I agree with Tom. Fire away. Be patient. Sometimes it takes a while to get a response.
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Search first. If it's not there, fire away!

I only say this because there is a lot of good stuff posted. The best answer may have already been forgotten!

Welcome to the forum!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Most manuals can be found at PDQ36.com.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Most manuals can be found at PDQ36.com.
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

If you need any particular photos of anything give me a shout, I'll be happy to send a pic.
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

first question--Heart interface panel

Post by lauraj »

We have "Heart Interface" panel for the charger. Photo attached.
We finally pushed enough buttons to get it working, but could someone give info on settings for optimum performance?
Attachments
charger interface.jpg
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

You should not need to do any set up at this point as it will have been set to match the battery type when installed. The power share settings are there to allow you to reduce input current if you are using a small generator. The invert setting is turned on when you plan to use the inverter to run a 110 volt load otherwise it should be off.
Henry
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by lauraj »

OK....so here's my confusion.....When I hit "setup" it allows me to change levels on the "charge" the "power share" and the "inverter" levels.

I was able to figure out that the reason my charger kept shutting off was because the "power share" was on 5 and the charger would draw more than that, so it would shut off.

Does anyone actually use this interface and can tell me what levels it seems to run best at?
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by lauraj »

Someone on multihull provided a much better book than the one that was in the files. Thank you.

OK....so here's my confusion.....When I hit "setup" it allows me to change levels on the "charge" the "power share" and the "inverter" levels.
most of which can be reasoned out by the "new" book.

I was able to figure out that the reason my charger kept shutting off was because the "power share" was on 5 and the charger would draw more than that, so it would shut off. The book indicates that this would only be relevant if shore power was connected, but mine was doing it with the wind generator, so I am assuming any incoming power source, what I can't reason out is the "breaker" size that the book refers to in determining the power share. I am not aware of any breaker on the solar and wind sources.

I am having trouble with the book where it refers to the warm or cold wet/Gel cell batteries
It doesn't say which number corresponds to which battery type/temp. for the charge level.

Anyone?
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

The power share limits the 110 volt input current so the charge will take longer. If connected to shore power you can probably leave it set at the highest level. If you were using a small generator or plugging in to a circuit with 15, 20, or 30 amp circuit breakers you would set the power share to suit.
You wind generator is probably connected downstream from the charger so it should not be affected by the power share setting.
The set up according to battery type limits the voltage and charge rates. I have wet cell batteries so the charge voltage can get up to about 14 volts. With AGMs I believe the peak voltage will be lower. My boat has been put to bed for winter so I can't give you anything more specific.
Henry
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

assuming that you have wet cell lead acid batteries, doing a reset will get you to the default settings which is probably safe.

if you don't want the defaults, post the values you're concerned with (eg. max amps, bulk charge volts, battery capacity), i'll get you some numbers when i get back to the boat next week.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

Gas tank gauge sender unit

Post by lauraj »

gas gauge is not working. Where is the sender unit located? Does it cause any issues if the tank is filled into the filler tube?
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Hi Laura,

The sending unit is in the fuel tank. Over-filling the tank such that the fuel is in the filler tube should not cause the sending unit to fail. If it did fail at that moment, it was going to fail imminently anyway. The only issue I know of would be the possibility of fuel pouring out of the vent due to the vent being lower than the filler opening and thermal expansion of the liquid or agitation by movement of the vessel. It is possible that the sending unit is okay but the wiring to and/or from the sending unit is bad.

Hope this helps,

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086