Letter to New Owners

Information for first time users - registration, posting pictures, testing, suggestions, etc.
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Letter to New Owners

Post by Leadfree »

It was requested that someone put together information that a new owner could use on a PDQ so the wheel would not have to be reinvented. I offered to do just that, and after consulting with a number of my cruising friends, here is what we have put together.

CLEANING PRODUCTS

Greased Lightening-great for cleaning fenders, black marks on the deck, fuel spills on the deck and hands (rinse hands immediately and use hand lotion after) and many other cleaning situations.

Soft Scrub-great for getting the deck really white and for getting black marks off.

Wood Bleach-a crystal that when mixes 2-3 T. in hot water and poured into a spray bottle, is an easy way to get the “mustache” off the water line after going thru the ICW. I’ve also used it to take rust off the deck and out of clothing.

Joy Dish Soap-works in salt water.

Bleach-mixed 1 to 1 with water can clean lots of things around the boat including the mesh sunscreens discussed later.

Vinegar-1 quart every week or as needed, poured directly into the head bowl and left for several hours then brushed will mean a bowl free of calcium and the brown scum.

Vegetable Oil-3-4T poured directly into the head bowl, every week or as the head becomes difficult to pump. Pump water thru with the oil and it will be easy to pump again.

RainX for the front windshield is a real timesaver as one doesn’t have to keep going out to wash the windows when one is traveling.

Sunbrella upholstery can be cleaned in the washing machine and medium to cool dryer. Use antibacterial dish soap per the web site. Previously, the site suggested ½ cup clear laundry soap and ½ cup bleach for each load. I have used this formula and not had any fading.

Ammonia on a scrub pad cleans the life lines without leaving them sticky. Laundry use-2 gal of water, add 1/2 c. of Ammonia. Add clothing, not too many items. Slosh around or scrub by hand. Allow to sit for maybe 1/2 to 1 hour. Wring out and hang to dry on the life lines. No need to rinse.

A Dust Buster (or similar vac) and wisk broom are great for cleaning.

OTHER IDEAS

Inventory items you put on the boat by area (galley, hatches, cabin floor, galley floor, etc.) You would be surprised how easily one can lose items on the MV.

A folding cart with 2 wheels and a handle that pulls out from Office Depot is indispensable when stocking the boat with groceries (or beer or other libations) or doing laundry 2 weeks worth.

Fake shammies are a must all over the boat, to wipe up after a rain, after cleaning the boat, or in the head to wipe it down after showering. I use one to step out of marina showers.

The Absorber is great for getting windows dry quickly and without smudges (available at Wal-Mart)

When one travels, one needs a dinghy and a place for the gas can. Starboard boxes (2) were built to fit under the back bench with an opening large enough for the spare gas can, goggles, fins, snorkels, etc.

If you have guests on the boat, it is nice to have lights on the back steps for their departure. One idea is to use garden lights fit into fishing pole holders attached to the back of the bench at each corner.

We have found that the cushions that fold to make a seat, sold by marine hardware stores, are great for the back bench lounging.

Sun coming in the windshield can be so hot, the boat can become uncomfortable. Companies make sunshields that can be seen thru and snap on the windows.

Items can be hung with Velcro or lighter weight items with HandiTack.

Make up boat cards to be shared with other folks you meet in your travels. Usually, it includes boat name, your names, address, phone number and email address, or whatever you want to put on it.

You will need a card file to keep all the cards you obtain from others.

Do not bring paper bags or cardboard, as in cereal boxes, from southern stores on board to prevent a bug infestation. Put a bay leaf in the flour, cornmeal and pasta containers for the same reason.

A great book for beginners is “Why Didn’t I Think of That?” by John and Susan Roberts.

Verizon or Sprint phone services seem to be the ones that work best up and down the east coast. They have cellular phones that allow one to use the phone with a laptop for internet connection.

Some cruisers run two laptops at the helm, which gives them double duty for navigation and TV. The other laptop is 'always on' to a Verizon cell data link [unlimited monthly service is $80. - $60 if you qualify - ask for - the corporate [IBM] rate. This gives them 24x7 www access for weather email etc. Microsoft Streets DVD for finding on shore facilities is useful.

XM satellite radio is invaluable for keeping informed and music. For biz news Bloomberg and a CNBC audio feed are sufficient, even for an active trader.

Backpacks are helpful when lugging groceries or other items back to the boat. It can even be used with your folding portable bike.

Tools-stock them for engine repair, plumbing and electrical repairs. A voltmeter is a must.

Have fun!

AND FOR THOSE CONSIDERING THE BAHAMAS

GPS –since most have a built-in unit, be sure to purchase a backup handheld, with or without mapping capability, as suits your interest & budget). Learn how to use both units & how to coordinate what they're telling you with your charts & your desired routes. It becomes especially important when the weather gets bad, when it's dark, when you're crossing the Gulf Stream, or when you make landfall from open water.

Charts -- Because electronics sometimes fail, don't blindly put all your faith in electronic systems; have paper charts for the areas you plan to transit. If you're going to the Bahamas, the chart sets by Explorer (spiral-bound volumes) are the ONLY ones to buy. The Chartkit book is great if you're driving vessels of 100 tons & up... (If you want to use a chart plotter, the Explorer charts are available only in raster versions [on CDs], so your options are limited accordingly.)

Batteries -- In addition to learning about the care & feeding of your boat's battery bank(s), don't forget to carry LOTS of spare AA, AAA, C & D batteries; you'll use more battery-eaters -- flashlights, portable GPSs, handheld radios & receivers, etc. -- than you do at home, & if you can't drop in fresh batteries when you need them you're going to be in trouble.

And speaking of flashlights, have several. Keep a large, 4- or 5-cell (i.e., powerful) unit handy for going on deck at zero-dark-thirty; have a good 2- or 3-cell unit near your berth; have at least one headlamp (the new LED units are ideal) if you don’t have a light in the engine rooms; have small flashlights with red filters for reading charts & checking instruments at night; have a compact LED reading light for when you can't sleep.

A backup handheld VHF can be useful.

Email with family and friends is easiest and cheapest by Pocketmail (see Pocketmail.com)

An AT&T long distance calling number with international service will save money. Calling costs .37 instead of $1/minute.

Do not use US mail to have items sent to you. Use a mail service or have family bring or use FedEx or UPS only. We know a couple that waited a month for mail because the family was going to save them money. They still hadn’t gotten their mail when we left. A box my sister sent never arrived in the Bahamas and came back to her a year later.

Bring enough postage stamps as they are difficult to purchase. Mail is usually carried back to the USA by visitors and mailed for you.

Make a list of things to show guests – How to turn engines on and off
First aid kit location
Fire extinguisher location
How to use the VHF, GPS
How to anchor
Add your own items

Remind guests that they are to use soft sided luggage, they will sleep with it.

DO NOT try to schedule where and when you will meet guests, one or the other but not both. You make dangerous passages trying to get somewhere at a specific date

$1US=$1 Bahamian

Bring spare parts for the head and engines plus oil and filters for at least 2 changes.
Bring 4 sets of fuel filters for each engine.

Food is available in the Bahamas. The supply boat comes in on certain days and they may not have the brand u want but there is plenty of food. I mention that because one cruising couple had heard there was no food to buy so she had 6 months of food frozen on the boat before they crossed to the Bahamas.

Pets are welcome in the Bahamas, as long as you carry proof of up to date Veterinary exam and vaccinations for the pet. It is difficult to obtain the correct paperwork from the Bahamian Government in a timely fashion. The cost was $15 per pet last year.

One of the reasons we go to the Bahamas is the safety, except for Nassau. We are usually at anchor around other cruisers so you know the people around you. With the PDQ MV you can get to anchorages that not too many other boats can but we still feel very safe. We still have not seen any “pirates” nor has there been any report of any and there would be! The cruising community is a close one.

Depression is common when one retires. One leaves his/her schedule, friends and family and home to cruise. That is a major adjustment. Remember to rely on other cruisers around you to get thru this time of loss.
Nando
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Nando »

Sharon,
Your boat must be a lot cleaner than mine. All the best to you and Larry.
Nando
cruising and living aboard Tooyoots, 36049
Page 83
admiral
admiral

handy suggestions

Post by Page 83 »

When buying new small electronics (flashlights, cameras, radios, GPS, even shavers), stick with the same battery size, like AA. There are rapid chargers for these batteries that plug into a 12 Vdc receptacle. There are even small solar chargers that could be packed in your ditch bag. Keep a box of cheap alkaline batteries in a baggy; they have a very good shelf life, and can tide you over until you can recharge your rechargeables. If you have to mix battery sizes, you can get a holder for a triple A battery that fits in a double A slot.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Really, really good thread!

One I can think of right now - that waterline stain that shows up on the bottom steps of the 32 (and maybe others). Get a bunch of people up on the bow so the stern lists out of the water, put FSR (the gooey blue stuff) on the stain, wait two munutes and rinse off. My stain disappears.

Parctical Sailor just did a review of waterline stain removers:
http://www.practical-sailor.com/pub/30_ ... 976-1.html
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Letter to New Owners

Post by Leadfree »

Several suggestions that have been brought to my attention:
A drawer can be installed under the table for silverware or mini office or a drawer for "stuff"

The two galley drawers were made into one deep useable one with few alterations.

A bar magnet hung in the galley holds knives, pealer, etc.

The cleaning formula above should have read: One part each of bleach, vinegar and water in a spray bottle.

When traveling to other countries, be sure to include both husband and wife/partner as owners when registering (in case something should happen to one of you, the other person would be able to claim the boat)
MC Oh Sea Dee
deckhand
deckhand

Post by MC Oh Sea Dee »

Enjoyed reading this post several months ago...never would have guessed I would reap the benefits of your TLC...My husband Ted is bringing Lead Free #1 home to roost, and I can't wait! (He's gotten as far as Charleston).
We're pretty sure she will be re-christened Oh Sea Dee (referring to his particular disorder :wink:) Thank you for taking such good care of her!
Oh Sea Dee
rjknottjr
deckhand
deckhand

Batteries & Film

Post by rjknottjr »

Both batteries and film hate hot weather. Put excess batteries and film in the fridge and they'll last longer, just make sure they are warmed up to room temp before using.