New Forum Format

Information for first time users - registration, posting pictures, testing, suggestions, etc.
Dream Catcher 041
deckhand
deckhand

New Forum Format

Post by Dream Catcher 041 »

Does anyone else here find the new format entirely too cumbersome? I know they are trying to modernize some, but at least Kevin's format was usable. This format takes way too many clicks to be useful. It's so hard just to see what is new or to actually respond to a question. I don't want to sound bitchy, but this site was a lot more useful before PDQ (or whoever) took it over. Any comments?

Tom
Thomas Gillispie, Ph.D.
Dream Catcher - Hull 41
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1z6dj/
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I agree!
Marc
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

I also agree ....
Roger and Bonnie
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I like the format. It separates out the boats so you can focus on yours.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

New Format

Post by Dan White »

I like the new format. The older format served the association well, but I feel this is a little more "robust" and has more features. Sometimes change takes a little getting used to, but I think in time most people will like it.

Thank you to both list developers. I know we all appreciate your work![/quote]
Aquila 32/31
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Aquila 32/31 »

...................It's so hard just to see what is new or to actually respond to a question......................
I like the new format too. Posting a reply is no more difficult than clicking the "Post Reply" button, and new posts are clearly indicated with icons. Thanks to Salwa Farah for this new board, and for the email updates that have been coming out for the last few months.

However, a big round of thanks is also due to Kevin, without whom there wouldn't be so many of us here to like or dislike the new board.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Too Cumbersome

Post by SecondWind »

I think it is too cumbersome also. I'm not interested in surfing it, only interested in new information. Some info is relevant to all of the boats, not just one model.

Terry
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

New forum

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

While I applaud the effort, I find the old forum easier to use
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Old Format

Post by Page 83 »

I was under the impression that Kevin is working out of the country for a while, and could not conveniently maintain the forum. He might also have been a little tired of the chore! I'm pretty glad someone was there to assume the burden.

It would be nice to just look in and see whats new, but I certainly don't feel strongly enough about that to volunteer!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Page 83
admiral
admiral

new forum [dohhh....]

Post by Page 83 »

What an idiot. I only had to look once to find a way to just see the newest posts. Search for * in descending order of posting date.

(ze tiny little grey cells, zey are all on vacation, n'est ce pas?)
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

And there is a "View Posts Since Last Visit" in the upper right hand corner.

To address some of the issues brought up here:

Yes, I was working out of the country, I still do. I work in Bangkok Thailand, I usually fly there for about 10 days every month. However, I am spending most of this summer here in Chicago with Phenix. Anyone who comes through here, look me up and let's go sailing.

I was not tired of maintaining the old board, *WE* (myself and PDQ) wanted the change to the server platform because the old board was getting too cumbersome for searching, tracking new threads, etc. This is 100 times better, in my opinion. True, there was some 'simplicity' to the old board that was lost, but I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. The search engine on the old board su_cked, and it had no good way of having members stay in contact with each other (like the messaging feature of this board)

Also, there was so many messages on the old board that the single-forum format just wasn't going to work. I am the one who decided what the categories would be, and I am the one who set them up. I tried to divide this board into the logical catagories that made sense, so that we could limit the work users had to go through to find what they needed. For example, have an engine issue? Go to the engines section.

It's true there are limitations and drawbacks to this sectionalized forum. For example, gelcoat issues cross all boats, but I had to stop somewhere (didn't want to add a gelcoat section) :)

For those who insist on viewing in a single section format, you can do that easily. Look at the tip I put in the Tips section for how to do it, it is easy.

Maybe I'll start a new thread called "Message Board suggestions" and that is where ideas on organization can be debated and possibly implemented. As I have been in the past, I am open to doing what I can to improve things around here.

Now, I am going throught the ENTIRE OLD MESSAGE BOARD section and move them into the appropriate sections. Technically, this is a snap to do, it just takes time.

Until then, use the search engine and it will search all the NEW and OLD posts. Then, I won't feel like I wasted 15-20 hours of time converting and moving the old board. :mrgreen:

- Kevin Smith (moderator)
Phenix 32007
Chicago
Last edited by Phenix-former-owner on Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

New Format

Post by SecondWind »

Thanks to Kevin & Salwa for their time, and good effort. I guess we are just a bunch if cranky old sailors (Tom & Amy excepted), and we just need to get used to the new format. It is here, it will stay, and we need to get used to it. Guess it is just hard to accomodate change. I hope that our criticism is taken only in the light of improvement. I don't want to volunteer to do a better job, and I guess that anyone else who wants to, with the appropriate skills, will offer thier services.

Fair Winds and good sailing to all of our PDQ family.

Terry

:)
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Board Format - are posts decreasing?

Post by Kokomo »

It seems that the number of questions and responses has dropped since the new format was adopted. Or maybe that is just my imagination? Any thoughts?
Roger and Bonnie
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I'm not sure why that is - maybe because the forum is in a new format and people hate change?
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Real Info

Post by SecondWind »

Is it not time to get back to the real purpose of this forum: INFO FOR PDQ OWNERS, instead of beefing about the format. Come-on members, let's make this a postive thing. I like my PDQ and want the good info from other members of this forum. Let's leave the complaining to the politicians.

Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
36040 :roll: