Hurricane Charlie

POA (PDQ Owners Association) questions, membership issues, annual meeting, etc.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Hurricane Charlie

Post by Dan White »

I am wondering how our PDQ firends in Florida made out from this awful storm. Richard? Lee? Everybody OK I hope.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

RE: Charley

Post by SecondWind »

Second Wind sustained damage to her starboard side. Terry & Bob are OK. The house needs a new roof and pool cage.

I am trying to coordinate efforts to repair PDQ's in the area. Perhaps James, from PDQ will come down if we are all close.

Locations of local marinas who can haul a 36 would be appreciated, since we are new to the area.

Terry Green
Bob Stein
s/v Second WInd
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Our Pirate harbor house lost its roofing on one side allowing wind and water to blow down the ceiling into the living room. The carport departed for destinations unknown. One window shattered and several trees blew down but when you see downtown Punta Gorda this is nothing. We sat out the storm in our Orlando house which suffered no damage despite 85-100kt winds.
Allezcat was tied securely to its lift and the seawall about 6ft above the water in the canal. This was probably a mistake because in the high winds (about150mph),the lift pilings (10") snapped like toothpicks. This put the boat into the water against the concrete seawall below the concrete cap which extends about 4" past the wall. With the boat held tight against the wall by the wind, the water then rose due to the storm surge and the rail was held captive under the concrete cap. Several thousands pounds of bouyant force then cracked the hull deck joint and mashed the stanchions before breaking out a chunk of the seawall concrete cap.
We will now see how good Allstate Floridian Marine Insurance is. We cannot determine if there was any hull damage when the boat came off the lift but there is no water in the boat.
Anyone know how to fix a hull/deck joint?
Chet White
Whiskers
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Whiskers »

We are in St. James City, on the southern tip of Pine Island and sustained minor damge to the house and boat. Our boat was quite high on the lift and it held well, although we lost 40' of dock. Our dock builder promises to have it replaced soon and when completed we would make our lift available for anyone who wants to use it to make repairs themselves.

Bob and Annie's in St. James has a railway and can haul a 36. They can make extensive repairs and also allow DIY if you purchase materials from them.

Donna Cook
Goodbye Columbus

Boat yard w/ ability to haul PDQ 36

Post by Goodbye Columbus »

Goodbye Columbus (36087) is currently on the rail haul out at Bob and Annie's Boat Yard in St. James City. They have previously worked on PDQs and like the boats. Their bid to repair my boat seemed reasonable to me and more important to the adjustor. The adjustor provided a list of items that he approved for replacement. I sent this list to Lynn at PDQ. Simon and Lynnn have already provided me with a price list. I have approved the same and they will ship the items as soon as they can assemble them. The rudders will come first. Between Bob & Annie's and PDQ I would hope to have the major work completed by the end of the month. If you want the particulars, give me a call at 239 273 7481 or email MGenHughes@comcast.net

Incidentially Harvy's new PDQ 36 is just down the street in St. James City at the Cook's home tied up next to Whiskers (36085). I have suggested to Lynn that while Harvy is out of the country, if there are any parts they can't put their hands on I could just "barrow" them from Harvey's boat.
Jim Hughes
deckhand
deckhand

Goodbye Columbus

Post by Jim Hughes »

The message from Goodbye Columbus is from me, but I couldn't seem to post it under that user name.
Jim Hughes
PDQ 36087
MGenHughes@comcast,net
Mary Pamela Kilmer
1st mate
1st mate

Rick & Pam are OK

Post by Mary Pamela Kilmer »

It seems a life time not being able to get to the internet. Rick & I are doing OK. "The Cat's Aweigh" is still on the Hudson in New York. We are so glad we did not have our boat on our dock, because our house was severly damaged. We were going to start our sail from NY to Florida the following week. We were looking forward to the dinner in Annapolis, but under the circumstances we need to be here in Punta Gorda. Colin Swithenback is taking over the dinner for us. It should be a great evening, Rick & I will be thinking of everyone. We want to thank everyone for the phone calls & their concerns. We hope to be sailing again soon. Our dream was to have our boat in the back yard- it will not happen for awhile, but it will happen!
Have fun at the show & dinner!