Fuel Consumption

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
JerryC
deckhand
deckhand

Fuel Consumption

Post by JerryC »

Hi folks
We are new to the forum and in the process of purchasing a 32 PDQ.
How much fuel does the 2 engines, 9.9 burn per hour? Do you have that figure in Nautical miles? Please specify if that is American or Canadian gallons or litres.
Has anyone made the trip from Rhode Island to New York? How long would that trip take? Is there anything you want to share with us about that trip. Thanks in advance
Our email address is cherjerr@bmts.com
Jerry and Cheryl
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

32 fuel use

Post by doubledutch »

Welcome to the PDQ family. I have a 32 up on Lake Simcoe where I don't use enough fuel to think about the burn rate but if I remember correctly I used less than two tank full motoring from Sodus Point New York across Lake Ontario and up the Trent Canal to Lake Simcoe.

You will find that the boat will motor nicely at about 6 knots on one engine at a little over 3000 rpm assuming you are not hitting a head wind or current. When in a hurry you can run both engines and motor in the 7 to 8 knot range but it tends to be a lot noisier and you will of course burn a lot more fuel.
JerryC
deckhand
deckhand

fuel consumption

Post by JerryC »

Thankyou for your reply.. We appreciate your input. We will be coming up the Erie Canal and making our way into Lake Huron, which is home.
Do u have any other things you would like to tell us about the PDQ?
SteppingStone
1st mate
1st mate

fuel consumption

Post by SteppingStone »

You can count on 1/2 gallon per hour per engine. It's probably a little less than this, but this will keep you absolutely out of danger. Roger Wood 12
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Catrina »

If I run engines at full throttle, I burn 1.7 gals/hour and cruise at 7 knots in reasonable seas. This burn rate has been pretty consistent over the past 10 years.
JerryC
deckhand
deckhand

Post by JerryC »

Catrina I assume is US gal. And Stepping Stone is Iimperial? That would make 1.2 gph US for Stepping Stone
Thanks 4 the imput guys.
Jerry
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Catrina »

Yes, for Catrina it was US gallons,both engines running. or would be .85 gallons (US) per hour per engine.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Average max burn at about 7.5kts or pushing against a headwind and sea I burn 1.5 US gallons per hr (.75 each engine). If I back off to about 75 percent power burn is about 1 US gallon per hour at 6kts. This is for a
PDQ36
Chet aboard Allezcat 36010
Georgetown, Bahamas
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Catrina wrote:Yes, for Catrina it was US gallons,both engines running. or would be .85 gallons (US) per hour per engine.
This is similar to what I found. Also, reduction down to 3/4 throttle is a significant gas saver, as well as using a single engine.
--