Fridge on a 32

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Fridge on a 32

Post by amytom »

Looking into putting a new fridge on our 32 hull #9 The PO put in a inexpesive dorm fridge which does work off the inverter but drains the batteries. I'm considering the Dometic RV line with Propane/110V/12V options. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Any specific model numbers?
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Fridge on a 32

Post by amytom »

After several e-mails with Chris Calver of PDQ (actually Antares now) He told me that while PDQ did put the propane units on the old boats he felt that it would not be legal (insurance reasons) nor safe due to the propane being left on at all times instead of turning off when not cooking or showering.
I tried contacting Dometic but they instead passed my info on to Peterson Marine in Tampa area. I will get back with them when I get the chance.
In the meantime I've narrowed it down somewhat to : Isotherm Cruise 130, Dometic TJ42, or Vitrifigo C115i or C130L. These are based on size and fit. Any thoughts or exprience with these models?
What does everyone else see for power consumption and duty cycle?
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Not a big fan of the Gemini catamaran but they do have the propane fridge and the owners seem very happy with them. Might want to check the Gemini owners forum...
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

lurked there awhile but didn't see anything. Also been thinking that with all the solar panels I have I should use the already paid for resources more than the LPG. Chris put a scare into me about the propane similar to the condensate in the bilge disussion before. It's all still open especially until I hear back what others are seeing for power consumption.
BTW as of yesterday still no new power outlets at the dock.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

If your installation is not "Coast Guard Approved" it could invalidate your insurance. You might check Performance Cruising (Gemini), I believe that they used a propane fridge at one time.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
SteppingStone
1st mate
1st mate

Post by SteppingStone »

I owned a Gemini for 10 years with a propane fridge. no problem, worked great and no problem with insurance. I have one now on my PDQ 3212 and it also is great, works fine, and have had no issues with insurance. It makes you practically electric free. I highly recommend them, obviously you have to be careful with propane, just like gasoline - it is flammable. Roger Wood
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Roger,
What brand and modelof fridge do you have? I assume that hull #'s 9 and 12 are similar in setup. Do you leave the propane solenoid on continuously or is the fridge on a seperate feed? If the front panel of the fridge seals to the cubby and I seal all other entries then the only place it would leak is into the front locker which has low drains and high vents. Right?
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

If you are ever going to the Bahamas, keep in mind that propane is only available in a few locations. Even in Georgetown, there were problems getting tanks filled this year.
Roger and Bonnie
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Finally made a decision. (what do you mean I'm indecisive?)
Picked up a Waeco CR110 from Peterson Marine. He gave me a nice discount, not sure if it's due to the family name or the fact that he made a lot of money of my company's stock. (before I met him, no insider trading)
This unit is AC/DC only. Main factors in my decision were safety and power consumption.

I called the insurance carrier (Progressive) for opinions on propane vs AC/DC. They strongly stated that they recommend not using propane but that they would not cancel the policy if I did. Talked to several other boaters (mostly ex-Navy and Coasties). Navy guys all told me to get the unit that made most the most margaritta ice;go figure. The coasties warned me that the insurance carrier may not cancel my policy but if the propane fridge was the cause of any claim it could very easily be denied based on current ABYC standards.

My fear of lawyers (from the insurance this time) and their lack of ethics pushed me towards the electric only. Besides the old fridge pulled 11 amps through the inverter when on and the new bigger one should pull in about 3.75 amps. With my 7 solar panels and the wind generator I should be okay.

Now to install the thing; the real fun begins.

Thanks for everyone's advice on this.

Tom
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

unit has been installed for several weeks now and is working great. the past couple of weeks I've been working on the shorepower system (one weekend at a time) so the only power on board are the batteries and the solar panels; the fridge has been staying cold! nice to finally be energy independant.
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

My original Dometic fridge has been working fine (14 years) and I discovered this weekend that it was no longer cold. I had is on AC (110v shore power) setting, so I trouble-shot and found out that it does cool when on DC and it does cool when on propane. It is the AC that doesn't work. The sail prior to me discovering this was pretty rough so it is possible that a wire could have come loose - going to see about that in the next day or so. Anyone had that happen? And where does the wiring come into the unit?

My use of the fridge is typically to keep drinks cold while the boat is unused while plugged into shore power. When I go sailing for the day, I put the drinks into a cooler with ice in the cockpit, to eliminate having to go inside and down while underway. I rarely even bother to swich it over to DC power while underway.

If I bite the bullet and replace it with a 110v/DC model, I'd like one of the same size. Any recommendations?
--
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I never had the Dometic unit but from what you're describing I would guess the the compressor is 12volt. In 110V mode you were probably running through a switching power supply to create the 12volt. If this is the case and the rest of the unit is in good shape I would just put in a new power supply. I've heard of corrosion being an issue for the propane side though and that might be a reason to switch.
I assume that hull 07 was built the same as my hull 09. I went with the Waeco CR110 and I'm happy with it's performance and fit in the original opening.
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Thanks for the reply, didn't occur to me that it might be a power supply. I'll get in there today with the ammeter and see what's happening. And thanks for the recommendation on the Waeco (I think it is CR-1110). Looks like Waeco / Dometic merged to it is probably a similar unit.

UPDATE: Just went and looked at the boat. Crawled into the port bow locker to look at the back of the Dometic Fridge. Inside the compartment where the fridge sits, there is actually a 110v GFI outlet, and the fridge is plugged into it with a normal AC power cord. It looked like the GFI fault had tripped, so I reset it and the fridge now appears to be getting AC power. That was easy. :) We'll see if it stays that way.

I think I am going to install an ammeter near the power panel so that I can see what AC current is being drawn by the AC outlets. This one here is on ebay for $7.00.
Attachments
1 (WinCE).JPG
1 (WinCE).JPG (18.26 KiB) Viewed 16001 times
--