Bowsprit

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Bowsprit

Post by thinwater »

Does anyone have a photo of a bowsprit on a PDQ 32 available to post? I am thinking of adding a chute and I have yet to decide whether the complication of a sprit is worth it, or whether I should rig it to a soft traveler between the bows, ala Stiletto 27. I'm sure it would breath better, but more wieght and more to maintain is not better. Also, with a soft traveller I can bring it to windward, which was ocationally usefull when going deep on my Stiletto.

How much speed gain am I likely to see, in light winds, and in moderate wind?

Thanks
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Bowsprit

Post by Page 83 »

I have a bowsprit and screacher (from Harvey Griggs) on my 36. I don't think it would be worth all the trouble and expense if I were flying a chute, even a pretty racy asymmetrical. A symmetrical chute can be flown pretty effectively with nothing more than running the guys through blocks on the bows. An asymmetrical is relatively easy to handle with two tack lines to the same blocks.
The only virtue of a bowsprit is in flying a code zero genoa or drifter/screacher on a furler, when luff tension is really necessary. This sail is a PITA to fly and a nightmare to tack around the forestay, usually requiring it be rolled up and then re-launched in the process.
BUT….
It’s worth an extra KNOT in less than 12 knots of wind between a tight reach and about 120 degrees off the wind. So it’s a good thing to have on Chesapeake Bay for at least half the sailing season.
Caution: I think my rolled up screacher fouls the airflow around my genoa when hard on the wind.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
charlie phillips
deckhand
deckhand

Post by charlie phillips »

I have added a free-flying furling screacher with a traveler track to my 32. No photos yet. There is a curved track between the bows. The furler is attached to a traveler car. I'm still trying to decide about running the control lines (2 for the car plus 1 for the furler) aft or just running things from the tramp.

We took it out for the first time last week and did a nice downwinder in about 8 knots true. By pulling the tack to windward, we were able to go pretty deep - up to 160 apparent without poling out the clew. The boat moved nicely without the main. We have yet to try it with the wind forward of 100 apparent.

The free flying sail doesn't furl as well as a regular furler, so we drop the sail when not in use. It is much easier than a sock. Because of the proximity of the jib stay, we also furl when tacking. The sail is about 450 sq ft and is made from 1.7 ounce mylar laminate.

Designing and building this thing was a lot of work. A bridle system would have been simpler, lighter and cheaper. So far, though, I'm really happy with how it works. Hope to get out for a few more test sails soon.

Charlie
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Thanks for the replies!

My experience is with an a-chute on a Stiletto. The controls you speak of were lead back to the cockpit, and to be honest, I wished they were not. It just caused moving back and forth during the hoist. My preference would have been for cam cleats on turning blocks that I could have adjusted from any standing position on the tramp. Sure, sometimes I wanted to make an adjustment a few minutes after the hoist, but not often. I have cross-hauls (port/starboard) and a 2:1 down haul. The traveler is a big bullet block that most back and forth on 5/16" Stayset-x. The sail is about the same size, but I am certain the loads are far less.

I would be surprised if the sail was not at its best with the apparent ~ 70-80 degrees off the bow. I seldom use my a-sail with the apparent wind aft of 80 degrees... which would be ~ 140 apparent. It will go deeper, but it is much slower.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html