Where to put additional batteries

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Where to put additional batteries

Post by MIDORI »

I HAVE A 12 VOLT START BATTERY AND TW0 6 VOLT FOR A HOUSE BANK. I WOULD LIKE TO EXPAND THE HOUSE BANK, IS THERE A SPACE UNDER THE COCKPIT STEP? ANY SUGGESTIONS AND HOW TO ADD THE WIRING.
BRIAN
MIDORI
Brian
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Where to put additional batteries

Post by Knotty Cat »

I have 4 6v batteries on my boat 32048. 2 are in starboard engine well and 2 are under cockpit step. Each pair are in series and the pairs are connected together in parallel. The cables are run thru a hole in the wall between the cockpit step locker and engine well and along the outside wall of the engine well. The only problem is checking fluid levels in the ones in the step locker. I purchased a rv fill system which has special caps for the battery cells that allow you to fill them all at once and shutoff flow when cells are full.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I have that same battery fill setup on my 36 and I will never go without one again!

Also, consider a battery combiner (www.yandina.com) to handle the connecting and disconnecting of the banks instead of error prone manual battery switches. Another product I will never live without.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

On my 32 there are two 6 volt batteries in each engine well. The start battery is in the under step cavity - it is the smallest battery so it can be pulled out easily for checking whereas the larger 6 V batteries are easy to service in the open area ahead of the engines.
Henry
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

On our boat, hull number 9, the cockpit step is sealed on all sides with the exception of a 4" access cover located near the back of the port engine well. I thought this was a flotation void. Is it different for the later hulls?
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

re Hull number 9 - yes they added a large access panel along the face of the step - it is handy storage for cleaning supplies and spare oil + the start battery.

Henry
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Can anyone send a picture? Maybe an upgrade to do? half for more batteries and half for built in genset?
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I'll get you some pictures but there is not enough room there for a genset. I think the best location for a genset is in the port bow however you would need to relocate the propane first.
Henry
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Your propane is in the port bow? Mine is in a locker in the forward bench just port of the water tank area. Or is it just that the vent would be too close to the genset? Also, my port bow vents to the back side of the stand up fridge and then to the cabin through the bottom of the fridge. The starboard bow is a seperate compartment completely with it's own bilge pump and solar vent, but the weight would be a problem as the holding tank is already there. Also, how would you run a fuel line to the bow or would it be a dedicated tank?
Maybe I need to find someone with a later model 32 in Central Florida so I can take a peek. Anybody want to get together for a beer?
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

Yes my propane is in the port bow - I have two water tanks with no vented space left there.

If you add a built in genset it should be diesel for safety reasons. Unless you have the LRC model the genset would not share the fuel tank with the gas engines.

It does appear possible to fish lines from the bow area to the aft area if you remove some cabinets for the process.

Henry
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

attached photos show under step locker and view of two 6 volt batteries in engine well
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 005.jpg (86.59 KiB) Viewed 16628 times
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 004.jpg (83.47 KiB) Viewed 16625 times
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (70.85 KiB) Viewed 16624 times
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

That's a nice storage area. I'll have to look into getting a cover and opening it up. I wonder if other changes were made that made this flotation air pocket not necessary? Or was it just redundant anyway?
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I did a search and found that cover at http://www.tempress.com/index.php?cPath=12_71_113 How do you feel about the quality of the hatch? The latches for it? Would you go for the upgraded version? http://www.tempress.com/index.php?cPath=12_68_112

I contacted Chris formerly of PDQ and he set my mind at ease about opening it up. I guess that was one of the locations they installed A/C's into. So it looks like I'll be adding some storage area and I may even add a tackle box http://www.tempress.com/index.php?cPath=12_70_101 under the helm seat on the inboard side.

I'll take some measurements when I'm on the boat again.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

The quality of the basic hatches is fine but the latches were not really designed for vertical mounting so I had to add some nylon tabs to keep them closed. The upgraded units seem to have much better latches so they would be a better choice.

Henry
DanRankin
deckhand
deckhand

Post by DanRankin »

If I can make a comment, I would definatly install a battery combiner system, if only to give you the re assurance of not draining the start batteries, but also to give the system the equal charge while under way or on shore power. I have used the Xantrax 250 numerous times and have had no problem with them, compared to the 100 system we used to install on the PDQ's.......it all depends on who does the work, and how you want it set up. I have installed 2 separate house banks where one is a back up and I have also installed 4 6vdc batteries as one bank......it depends on what you are trying to accomplish with the addition of the 2 extra batteries....more power drawn from equally......or a main system with a back up when the initial is low.......... Dan