oven without cooktop

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
tmount
1st mate
1st mate

oven without cooktop

Post by tmount »

We're looking for an oven for our PDQ 32. As you know, there is no room under the cooktop for an oven, even if we were to replace the cooktop and get a combo stove/ oven.
So far, we've considered a Dutch oven (cheap and simple: just put it on the stove) and a Dometic Origo 6100. The latter is a non-pressurized alcohol oven. It ain't cheap but it's the right size (20x22x13) and I'm happy with our Origo "space heater." The cook is concerned with how slow it might be. I know, I know, we're sailors and not supposed to be in a rush, but....
The specs for the Origo say: "Power alc./burner (BTU/hr/W) 5250/1500" Anyone know what that means and how it might compare to other ovens?
Our cooktop is propane powered and it would be fairly simple to hook up an oven ABOVE the stove. But we haven't found one--they're all combo stove/ ovens. Any ideas or suggestions? I've already read the thread on the relative safety of alcohol vs. propane.
Tim
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: oven without cooktop

Post by thinwater »

Not from experience with that unit, but:
* it will burn about 8.6 oz. fuel per hour at full burn.
* it puts out about 1/2 the heat of a good gas burner... but that should be enough in an insulated oven.

A camp oven might work well - I have considered it but not tried it.
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemanc ... ryid=27400
I suspect some searching might yield something better.

If you do find something, let us know!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

We had the same concern when we first got our 32 however after living with it for a few years we no longer miss having an oven. We have a very nice marine barbeque that works as well as any oven when the lid is closed and it has the great advantage of keeping the heat out of the galley.
Henry
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Tim, one of the workers from PDQ picked up a new in the box stove at one of the companies garage sales. If memory serves, it was for a 32. If interested, let me know and I can put you in contact with him. James
tmount
1st mate
1st mate

Post by tmount »

If you mean a stand alone oven, James, I'd love to hear about it.
Tim
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Tim, I sent you an email with the info. Hope it works out for you. James
tmount
1st mate
1st mate

Post by tmount »

I finally found a suitable propane oven for my Altair, a mini SMEV oven, for $200 new. I've seen it advertised on British RV supply stores online. I picked mine up from a former PDQ employee courtesy of James Power. It fits (barely) on the microwave shelf above the cooktop. I'm in the process of installing it with a new gas line from the propane compartment. Hope I don't blow us out of the water!
In the process of outfitting for our move aboard we also bought a new valise style 4-man coastal liferaft from Navimo for the bargain price of $1,100. The only caveat for this raft is it is bought as surplus inventory which means it may have to be serviced a year earlier than the usual 3-year interval. In our case, however, we don't need to service it until Jan. 2012.
Finally, we bought a Honda 2000 gas portable generator to supplement the solar panels. It runs very quietly and we anticipate running it every 5 days or so. Ours is a new model which we will plug directly into the shore power outlet to charge the batteries. I heard there is new solar cell technology and we're waiting for it to become available before buying more panels.
Hope all this stuff works! We're headed north from Long Island to Massachusetts and Maine for the summer before turning around for the Bahamas late fall. See you out there!
Anthony Motley
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Anthony Motley »

Here's a web site link to an option of a combined Micro wave and convection oven we have researched. We doubled our battery bank to cover extra load. It could be a simple option.

http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/tc1050.asp