Water in Keel?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
SteppingStone
1st mate
1st mate

Water in Keel?

Post by SteppingStone »

I feel like I have water in my starboard Keel - First, is this possible (It sounds hollow to me) Second, I know I could drill some test holes but would obviously not want to if I don't have to so - - Is it possible to access the keel by cutting a small access hole in the bilge? I'm hoping someone out there is still familiar with the hull construction of a 95 - 32. Thanks in advance, Roger Wood
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: Water in Keel?

Post by doubledutch »

Water in the keel is common - drill a small hole in the keel to let it drain - you can reseal with epoxy.

The keels are isolated from the hulls so that damage to the keel will not allow water into the hulls - do not drill thru from the bilge.
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

There are two other discussions about this problem on this forum. One is on the 36 site and one on the old message board.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I drained a couple pints of smelly water from Page 83's keels the first time I hauled her. Plugged the holes with short pieces of fishing rod. A moisture meter will tell you if you have water, and how deep. Mine have been dry since then so the water infiltration is very slow.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
thinwater
admiral
admiral

What is the harm?

Post by thinwater »

If the water freezes while hauled that is clearly very bad. Water is weight, of course. They idea of barnacles growing in an enclosed space is disconcerting. But for my information, what is the harm if water in the keel, so I can gauge how much to worry.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Other than the freezing issue I see no concerns with water in the keel. I can only guess that it works its way in around the fairing. Both of my keels clearly showed the water level when the evening temps caused condensation. I hope to never have to store the boat in the Northeast again but with this economy you never know. I'm thinking that I might be able to cast a pipe plug with a recessed allen head into a filled epoxy opening in each section for future use. Then again when spring comes I might be pressed for time and just fill the holes as we bought an industrial sewing machine and are redoing the interior cushions, building a new dodger, stack pack cover and renewing the sunbrella on the head sail. I have to lift the stbd saildrive out a bit as I realized after it was back in place I had forgotten to torque the bolts :cry: Also on the spring list is completing the installation of the SSB and a new anchor light. I'd really like to go LED but am having a hard time justifying $400 for a tricolor.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
SteppingStone
1st mate
1st mate

Post by SteppingStone »

To All, Thanks to all for the advise. I will drill some test holes to see when I can. roger