Build in a gas generator

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Build in a gas generator

Post by amytom »

I took my Yamaha 2400 generator to the boat this past weekend to see if it would run the A/C. I was using a fairly small standard wall plug type power cord and ran it into the shore power with an adapter. I found the A/C strainer was clogged so I couldn't run it but I was able to run the heater which takes a couple more amps then the cooling circuit. I did notice that doing this the inverter kicked in but as soon as I turned off the heat it went back to standby. (As it should) When I get a new strainer basket I will try again with the cooling circuit and a better power cord.

What I want to explore is disassembling the generator and installing it in the cockpit step with the exhaust plumbed to the port engine cavity. I could also add the sound reduction foam to the inside of the step area and add ventilation either across between the two engine cavities or with vents cut into the step access door (which I still need to install).

I want to be able to run a generator while sailing for charging batteries, running microwave (can be run from invertor but hard on batteries), and possibly heat or A/C for short times to take the edge off.

What does everyone think? Keep in mind I already own the Yamaha 2400 as well as two Honda 2k's.

Thanks

Tom
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Build in a gas generator

Post by Page 83 »

You need to find out what kind of airflow you need to keep the generator happy. Its usually expressed in CFM. If there is some kind of fan in the unit you are ahead of the game. I'm looking at installing a water cooled Westerbeke 3kw gas generator, and it still needs a good bit of constant airflow.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

No fan built in just the vents in the plastic outer housing. I was hoping I could use a couple of 3" computer fans in the starboard engine well to create cross flow and ventilate before starting. Maybe just leave the hatch in the step open while running.
I took the covers off of the generator and looks like the ventilation for the generator portion is ducted and seperate from the exhaust and the exhaust heat sheild jacket (plastic). The engine aspiration appears to be from ambient air inside the housing. I guess the generator is not spark protected hence the seperate ventilation. Hmmm, maybe continue with that design and duct the exhaust under the bridge wing behind the port engine and the generator ventilation just forward of the exhaust. For the remainder of the ventilation and for aspiration just leave the hatch open while running or vents cut into the hatch?
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Tom,

Unless you have some sort of mega BTU rated AC unit, your 2k+ genset should run it fine. Our Honda 1000 EU will run either our 9500 BTU starboard AC or our 6500 port side AC. Not sure if your generator has an "eco" idle like our Honda, but I do have to turn that off so that the generator is running WOT before I kick the AC on. Once the AC spools up, then I can revert to the "eco" setting and the generator slows down to about 2/3 throttle.

As for mounting, we built a vibration dampened, removable platform that lives above the steering quadrant on the port side and this is where we run our generator. I did extend the exhaust almost 6 inches to get it clear of the hull and we added tie down points to secure the generator, but other than that we are running it as it came from the factory.

Good luck
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I have the 20K BTU unit and the Honda will run it barely but won't run the heat cycle or the charger at the same time. I'm just looking for the best way to maintain power and keep the family comfortable.