Closing the head intake seacock after each use.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Closing the head intake seacock after each use.

Post by thinwater »

Yes, I understand that though the bowl is above the water line, parts of the mechanism are not and that breaking the wrong part could lead to flooding. However, getting to the valve is, to say the least, troublesome. An in-line valve in the will line, accessible from the head, would be a partial solution. A through-bulkhead sea cock would be better, but I don't think that exists for this.

Any adaptations to avoid this problem, or simply learn to like small spaces filled with sharp objects?
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
bryguy67
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Closing the head intake seacock after each use.

Post by bryguy67 »

I was just talking w/ someone in our marina who researched the Jabsco toilet to find out why is sometimes backfills part way while sailing. Ends up, Jabsco acknowledge the issue and says their new units don't do it, and also now offer a valve kit that will help avoid it. I'm not sure this would help with your idea of stopping flooding, but if it's basically a stop valve, then perhaps it would. He found it on their website.
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Closing the head intake seacock after each use.

Post by Knotty Cat »

I own hull 48 and the head module that was installed was one that had just been fabricated for the first power cat. In front of the bowl is a circular section with a screw in access plate. It's dia. is larger than the height of the step the bowl sits on but it has been faired in to the step. I can easily reach both sea cocks and the speed sensor from the head. Maybe something like this can be retrofitted to older boats.