Air Generator

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
ireaney
deckhand
deckhand

Air Generator

Post by ireaney »

Has anybody fitted an Air Generator to one of the aft quarters fo a 32.

If so where have you placed the fixing points to give it enough strength, also is there enough room so that it cannot snag on the boom or main sheet.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Air Generator

Post by amytom »

I have the air X in the starboard aft corner. It's mounted on the manufacture's tower kit and does not intefere with the boom and rigging. This was mounted by the PO. I'm not sure I would have mounted it myself. Solar seems to be the better place to put your money.

With 400 watts of solar I typically see 10 - 20 amps based on battery condition and time of day.

With one Air-X (suppossed to be about 400 watts) I typically see nothing. When the wind gusts above 20-25knts I will get maybe 10 amps and when the wind gets crazy I can see 15 amps but usually only for a minute or so at a time. Maybe in a higher wind climate?
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Ian: I wonder if anyone in England has experimented with sheet metal 'mirrors' to increase the solar energy acquired? I'm thinking or adding either silver-mylar-covered foamboard or thin stainless steel shutters to my puny 55's when they go on the planned arch.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
ireaney
deckhand
deckhand

Post by ireaney »

Good idea Sandy, I must make some enquiries about that.