L.P. Gas locker smell + +

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
bryguy67
deckhand
deckhand

L.P. Gas locker smell + +

Post by bryguy67 »

Hi all. Just bought a '99 PDQ32 Altair, 32042 and spent the past 10 days sailing her home. We just love her. This forum was very helpful prior to our purchase; thanks to all of you. The forward port locker that holds the L.P. tanks had a definate odor of L.P. gas. The surveyor was not concerned, but I am. Does anyone else have this issue?

The forward starboard locker has been the active anchor side and has mildew. I plan to scrub it out and keep it ventilated better. I thought of installing a solar vent but I'm concerned about the vent getting swamped when water comes over the bows in our choppy Lake Michigan waters. Are the solar vents typically waterproof?

I've noticed that I need almost 1 1/2 knots to get forward steerage, and steerage in reverse just doesn't happen. Have you all had similar experiences?
Has anyone replaced the isenglass windsheild with aluminum frames and windows? I'm thinking that would be a nice improvement as long as the windows had vents and the addition of a wiper would be great.

She has the factory davits; what is the longest dinghy that seems to fit well? I put our soft v-bottom 10.5' on there and it's really too big. Plus I had to put a sling on the bow and I really can't get it high enough off the water. I know an RIB would be better; we just really like the light dinghy and the ability to haul it out easily in the Fall.

Anyways, thanks again! Bryan

(edited by Phenix - inserting carriage returns to make it more readable)
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: L.P. Gas locker smell + +

Post by Page 83 »

Welcome! We are a casual and heplful group, and always glad to meet new owners!

Propane is odorless. You are smelling a non-flameable "perfume" that is added to make a leak detectable. It has permeated the surfaces in the locker, but the smell can be significantly reduced with bleach. The perfume is a thiol and bleach will convert it to a less offensive substance that can be washed away. Propane is heavier than air, which is why the vent for that compartment is on the bottom. If it gets blocked, and you have a leak, you will be carrying around a good amount of explosive material, which is otherwise perfectly safe when it is contained and managed in your system. Still, a sensor inside the cabin is a very good idea.

Bleach will also deal with the mildew on the other side, but dilute this quite a bit.

you should have steering at much slower speeds than you report. After you get use to the boat and try it in calm water, you will find that's true. The low aspect ratio keels give us a lot of directional stability, so it may seem a little sluggish if you are used to a deep fin keel.

I've seen one PDQ with permanent forward windows, but I have to feel the wind on my face to sail well. I closed up my 32 only when it was too damn cold for that, and still felt like I was going deaf. On my 36 I will keep the window open in front of the helm even in a light rain.

I had an eight-something foot rib on my 32 that fit between the hulls with the engine on, but the engine still dragged in chop, giving the dinghy and davits quite a workout. It was a LOT of weight aft.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

It is possible/probable that you still have a tiny gas leak; go over EVERYTHING in the locker with soapy water (with the solenoid open). Then you will be sure. I have no odor.

You MUST have a solenoid and a detector in each hull. You probably do.

I have a 9' Boat US "sport boat" and it is very tight - perfect. Regarding the davits, please see my blog, below, for an upgrade that works very well.

Regarding the hoist height, I use a spreader bar on the bow (attached to 2 patches on the inside of the tubes and to the floor) and can get the dingy VERY high. It is well out of the water in all weather and I never remove the motor.

Listen to Page 83. He has owned both (32 and 36) and knows everything.

Welcome to the group!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
jak430
skipper
skipper

Post by jak430 »

We are the new owners of PDQ 32017 and just had a survey done as well.
There is no smell in the forward locker but there are two additional propane tanks in the aft locker. There is a temporary flex line that attachs to the aft mounted BBQ. The surveyor stated the tanks should be moved to the deck to avoid possibel propane leakage into the hull with gasoline storage. Anyone else use propane for an aft BBQ? Where do you keep the tank?
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Propane should not be stored in a locker without ventilation at the bottom.

If you are going to carry a separate tank for the grill, store it in the forward ventilated locker. It could be possible to plumb a line from the forward tank to the aft grill, but it would be an outrageous PITA.

Surveyors are paid to be right. :lol:
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
charlie phillips
deckhand
deckhand

Post by charlie phillips »

Agree with Sandy that the aft lockers on a 32 are unsafe for propane storage.

Our boat came with a BBQ on the aft rail that used the usual 1 pound throwaway cylinders. I've never liked them - always running low in the middle of cooking. I switched to a 10 lb tank that was stored in the forward propane locker and hauled out for each use. That was also a pain.

What we have now is a BBQ mounted in the cockpit with a permanent line plumbed in from the forward propane locker. The BBQ is on the second level bench just aft of the bulkhead. (just to port of the door) While we give up some cockpit space, it is more than worth it. Out of the wind, out of the rain, room to put stuff, close to the galley. After having used it for a year now, I can say it is one of the best things we have done to the boat. It is especially handy on a 32, which has no oven.

Installing the propane line took some effort, but was far from an outrageous PITA. The cabinet assembly in the port cabin must be removed, but that's it. Once the cabinet is out, it is easy to feed the hose through the raceway under the steps. Although I only ran the line to the cockpit, continuing on to the the stern would be really easy.

Charlie
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

We have a large grill on the aft rail and just used rope to tie the 10lb cylinder to the rail a short distance away from the grill. We check the rope for wear every now and then. May not be the prettiest method but it works and it's easy.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Regarding low speed steerage...

Post by thinwater »

Clean foils help - is the rudder fouled?

But if you are talking about under power, it is all about using the twin screws. It takes some practice, but below 1 knot you use the trottles more than the wheel. There are a lot of combinations to learn, but you will be able to put her anywhere.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
tmount
1st mate
1st mate

Post by tmount »

I had a propane additive smell on my '99 Altair, too. I checked all the lines with soapy water to no avail. Turned out to be the regulator!
I hang an 8' Port-A-Bote on my davits: light and good fit. Do not, however, attach it to the hull screws near the transom.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I keep the barbeque propane tank in a plastic pail which is set on top of the fuel tank in the center aft locker when not in use. When I take it out to set on deck the fact that it is in a plastic pail protects the deck gelcoat. A bungee cord straps it to the railing when in use.
jak430
skipper
skipper

Post by jak430 »

Do you store the tank inside the gasoline fuel locker when you are not BBQing?
John
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I am comfortable with storing the propane tank in the gas locker as it has large vents at the lower end. I move the tank on deck during use so that it is in open air when being connected and disconnected. We also stow the barbeque when underway - it slips into a large duffel bag that I set in one of the two rear lockers.