New Owners

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
jak430
skipper
skipper

New Owners

Post by jak430 »

We have decided to purchase 'Dream Catcher' a 1996 PDQ 32 in San Diego.
The survey was Saturday and we have started our 'to do' list.
First is 2 new Yamaha T9.9GEXH engines. We also want to repalce the forward plexiglass. It has 2 spinnakers but no bowsprit so that is also on the list.
We opened the floor boards over the bilges but the the panels in the Salon are sealed with what appear to be RTV ( hopefully not 5200). I would like to inspect under the panels and refinsh the wood but am not sure how big of a project this is. Any suggetions for the newbies would be appreciated.
John & Regina King
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: New Owners

Post by amytom »

Welcome aboard.

I only have one suggestion. Since you have 2 spinnakers you should sell one of them to me at a huge discount. :-)

Resealing the salon floor is something I had wanted to do as well but pulling them up may be more than I want to tackle. I'll be watching for replies.

For the bowsprit: we have a member here, Thinwater, who is very experienced in flying the spinnaker and may be able to lend some advice.

Tom
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Yes, I have considered a sprit, but for now am using a bridl

Post by thinwater »

You can see some pictures on my blog (below). There is a traveler that allows me to move the tack. I need to re-take them in a good blow, since in light air the chute is not pulling up. I have yet to convince myself that the weight and complexity of the sprit would provide enough performance... and the marina will charge for having it! They even add it to painting, hauling, and storage fees! Crazy.

And yet I will probably do it anyway... just need to work out some details. Try it with a simple centered bridle first with the wind on the beam. Then judge for yourself. But remember, if the chute was cut for no-sprit, it will distort if the tack-to-mast distance is too large. The head will collapse too soon.

I've kept a lot of carpet runners down, to cut down on floor abuse.

Post your up-grades!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

I own hull 048 and all my floorboards are held down with Velcro strips.Works very well.
Huggi21
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Huggi21 »

Can you let me know how you get on with the corrosion on the mast , boom and crossbeam as this is what put me off buying this boat a while ago, i would be very interested in what you find the cause was and how you fix it.
jak430
skipper
skipper

Post by jak430 »

We just had a survey done and the the surveyor said it was only a minor issue. Apparently this is a common occurence on painted aluminum. Our current boat has annodized aluminum and I had not seen this before. He said to sand and repaint the affected areas. He also stated not to leave the bare aluminum exposed to the air as it will begin to have surface corrosion.
I will keep you updated on our repairs.
Huggi21
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Huggi21 »

Hi Jak,
If you need any advice this is the guy i showed photo's to and contacted about repairing the corrosion and what he said.
Hope it helps.

This job will need to be done inside my mast tent. if you want to book this now for sept i can do it. It will take one week of sanding and prep, 3 days of painting, 2 days of re-rigging, 2 days of renewing any needed wires, antennas, wind vanes, nav light things like that. plus 2 days of moving and installing on boat. 9 days labor, 1 day clean up and catch all day.10 days. $6000 labor if the job takes less, billing is for just the hours worked. The yard or facilities to house tent and provide air pressure and cranes are extra and you pay yard for that. Driscols mission bay is where my tent is.

Attention Gregg
-email : seapowergreg@yahoo.com