Ground tackle?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: Amps are high, but the time is short.

Post by mikeandrebecca »

thinwater wrote:You did not mention a secondary anchor for when tides shift and thunderstorms.
I have read the info on your site about this thinwater. I am thinking one step at a time, trying to sort our our primary anchor/rode first. I will give this consideration though, before we venture too far from home.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback.
Latis (32028)
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Ground tackle?

Post by Latis (32028) »

We have a 25lb CQR with about 35ft of chain as a primary - has held very well for us (so far) in the bay ... rode out a few rough nights no prob ... defintely use a bridle ...haven't had the need for a windlass - still very manageable ... plus that and hoisting the main is the only real workout I get to use up all those beer carbs :wink:
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

As a follow up to this thread we ultimately ordered a 15 kg Rocna anchor, 100 feet of 5/16" chain and 200 feet of 5/8" line. We also ordered a chain plate to use in the bridal. This will be a significant upgrade to what we are currently using.
HENRY
deckhand
deckhand

Post by HENRY »

Drew(THINWATER) I do not understand your instructions for placing 2 anchors for wind/current change. If you drop from bow, then stern are the anchors not at 180 degrees...how do you get to 90-120 degrees? Are you using dingy? Do you join both fiber rodes together before attaching to bridle. What is approx length of bridle arms? Also new PDQ owner, so any info helpful. Your blogs are great.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Setting 2 anchors... Yes it is hard to explain without pictu

Post by thinwater »

1. Though I place one anchor from the stern, that does not make them 180 degrees apart. Because of the length of ropes used, it is more like a 45/45/90 triangle. If your first anchor is eased way back, say 100 feet, then a second anchor is lowered at the stern (132 feet total), and then both are adjusted to ~ 80 feet, You will hang well to one side. Draw a picture of 2 anchors 130 feet apart, with 80 feet on both rodes.
2. I don't tie to the stern. I hate the motion if the wind hits the beam, and it is harder on the anchors. Perhaps, in a very narrow canal, but I would not like it. A thunderstorm on the beam and you WILL drag.
3. All things being equal, I aim the primary at the prevailing wind and the secondary at the most likely thunderstorm gust direction.
4. Yes, I connect the rodes. Typically I use a prussic hitch for fiber to fiber. If on chain I shackle to the chain plate.
5. Bridle arms can be long, but the minimum is ~ 2' more than the beam. Less, and it is a pain to hook up the apex.

The real trick is to have a second rode that is the right length, or close. That way, you are connecting the end of the rode and you can't tangle if the boat spins. Since it seems I always anchor in 5-8 feet, I have an 85' pre-rigged length that works 95% of the time. To leave in the AM I simply slack the primary rode as needed, unclip and pull up the secondary, and then raise the primary as usual. It only takes a few minutes longer.

I like to use a Fortress as the 2nd, because it is light, I don't need a windlass, and I can stow it in a stern locker.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
almiaman
deckhand
deckhand

Post by almiaman »

Hi,
Yes, anchoring is a hot topic and rightly so, nothing like getting a good nights rest.
My cat is somewhat lighter at about 1.5 tons but it would drag my old 27pound plow copy on some bottoms where I play.
Hard sand with a reinforcing weed in it.
After much research on the web I found the SARCA Excel and was impressed by the blurb and the videos. I went to the Sydney Boatshow in July and talked to the man. He said if I did not like the anchor he would take it back with full refund. I bought one one right away.
Well, I like it. Three times down on the difficult bottom and three instant sets. I can see my anchor in most locations so am confident of the way the anchor works.
I have a #3 and there is no way the man is getting his hands back on my anchor. Bliss!
Anyway, I recommend you check out the site and videos. Just google SARKA Anchors.
Happy cruising, Al
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Looks good, where do we buy one?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
almiaman
deckhand
deckhand

Post by almiaman »

Hi Sam,
I bought mine from the stand at the boatshow.
This is the company.
www.anchorright.com.au/

I believe they may have a US agent but if not, freight is not all that expensive.
I purchase stuff from the US and it is just like buying from anywhere in Australia.

Cheers
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

It sounds like you are on the right track with your anchor choices. Of course you've realized that anchoring is such a subjective choice that everyone is willing to fight to the death for their particular anchor, but the reality is you just have to give it a try yourself. We recently switched to the Rocna and gave up our CQR, but we kept our Delta. All three anchors are within 2 pounds weight of each other, but ultimately we felt the CQR was the weakest link.

To date, we have no regrets, but again your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
Tom

www.tendervittles.net
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

OK everyone, please remember that we are new so limit the name calling :D , but we are having real issues setting the bridle on our new anchor chain. We purchased one of the ABI bridle plates and have it attached via shackles to bridle lines. The problem we are having is getting it into position without the chain falling off. I understand that a "lazy" loop of chain on the side closest the boat will keep the chain in the bridle plate. Getting to the point where it is deployed in this position just seems like a major deal though. I know there has to be a better way, or we are doing something wrong. Anyone care to help out a couple of newbies?

Thanks in advance!

Mike (and Rebecca)
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Generally it just stays on.

Post by thinwater »

I added a latch to mine, but often we skip it when stopping briefly, and it doesn't fall off. It is a matter of fit and friction. mine was custom fit to the chain, where the ABI plate is to fit several sizes - and one-size-fits-all seldom is.

Try adding a bit of tension while releasing rode.

You could add a latch, but it would have a funny shape. It could be line rather than metal.

You could put some tape in the plate slot to add friction. It wouldn't last.

We made it through a busy cruising season with zero anchoring troubles, sometimes on one anchor, and some times on two. Never a drag. Never a twist. I consider the system de-bugged.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/search?q=bridle
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

Chain hook ideas like Drew's are good. My anchor line is a combination of chain and three strand line. I don't have a chain hook, but rather tie a Rolling Hitch from the bridle to the anchor line. Its not hard once you get used to it.

I use it only because I had the experience many years ago of having to cut the bridle on a 1930's ketch to let out more line quickly in storm. Once I learned it, I liked it, and have used it since. There are many options.

Here is the 'how to' link for knowledge sake.. http://www.animatedknots.com/rollinghit ... dknots.com

Enjoy -
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks Drew. I am going to have my friend make a "gate" for our bridle plate.

Eepstein: Can you clarify for me. Are you taking one extra line, tying it to your rode with the rolling hitch and then leading it back to your other hull to form the bridle?
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I also use the rolling hitch method. I anchor from the port side, then pull a designated line from the stbd side, tie a rolling hitch to the anchor rode, and then let out rode from the port side until tthe "V" is centered. Simple, easy and no extra equipment. I've used this for 12 years.
Marc
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks Marc. Got it.