Ground tackle?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: Ground tackle?

Post by eepstein »

Hi Mike;

I use a bridle with a stainless steel thimble at the apex. I tie about 6' of line to the thimble, and then use that to tie the rolling hitch. The bridle then forms a "Y" shape and both sides of the bridle take the stain off of the anchor line. I can use it for the chain or rope section of the anchor line, depending on depth, and not have a strain on my windlass.

Some added benfits are: 1) that when I bring in the anchor line, the rolling hitch slides forward unitl it hits the chain. That allows me to shorten the anchor line if I need to. 2) its great for mooring balls as the 6' of line is there for tying off to the ring on transient mooring balls, or for making a rolling hitch off a very filthy pennant I don't wish to bring aboard. and 3) Its a good attachment point for a home made kellet.

Hope that helps.
Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Eric
Sounds sweet. Are the bridle legs attached permanently? where are they connected?

Marc
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

Mine are not permanent. I have pondered shackles to the hull or such, but flexibility has always proven itself... .. and saved money.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
Annapolis, MD
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

I suggest everyone post pics of their setup. :D
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We had a gate added to our bridle plate. This should hopefully solve the deployment issues we were having.

Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

I researched the SARCA and was very impressed. was going to buy one until I found it cost about $1,000 for the galvanized model (freight alone was about $400). Continued the research and found a Manson anchor, made in New Zealand, but with a U.S. distributor. It looks like a clone of the SARCA and Manson says "the anchor has been reviewed by Lloyds Register EMEA and it received a SHHP status, Super High Holding Power.
The first and only production boat anchor in the world to do so." Paid $471 including $30 shipping. At 44 lbs, it looks AWESOME on the bow! The few uses to date have resulted in a quick and strong set. I use it with 75' of chain + 200' of rode.

Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
Bargain Bill
skipper
skipper

Post by Bargain Bill »

The more I use it the more I like it. The Manson grabs quick and holds - - even when we were spun 270 degrees by 25 kt winds during the night.

Bill & Fran Carlson
MV 34 Easy Riders
Bill & Fran Carlson
Easy Riders MV34 #029
Ocean City, MD
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

The snow was clear enough to take a couple photos of the bridle I use. Hope they are useful.

I use a bridle for my mooring ball and to attach to the anchor rode via a length of additional like that acts as a snubber (sp). The snubber is attached to the bridle with a bowline and to the anchor rode with a rolling hitch. With this set up, I can easily decrease rode without untying anything - as the rolling hitch slides, and if I have to let out rode in a breeze, I can untie or cut the snubber line without affecting anything expensive. The snubber is just an old dock line.

As we don't have a slip, our boat lives on a mooring ball, so the bridle and snubber has been in place continually for almost two years without any problems. I have chaffing guard sewn on the bridle at wear points.

There are a hundred ways to anchor. My early days as a teenager on an old wooden ketch have always kept me to simple, high strength, disposable and changeable methods. We are still adjusting to a catamaran. It lighter and more forgiving, and allows for even more creativity that a mono-hull. No method of doing anything is wrong - as long as nothing breaks from it. :-)

Eric
Attachments
I added a swivel where the bridle meets the line I use to tie a rolling hitch to the anchor rode.
I added a swivel where the bridle meets the line I use to tie a rolling hitch to the anchor rode.
photo (2).jpg (242.14 KiB) Viewed 16719 times
Rolling hitch where bridle takes the load off of the anchor rode.
Rolling hitch where bridle takes the load off of the anchor rode.
photo (1).jpg (236.99 KiB) Viewed 16728 times
Entire Bridle
Entire Bridle
photo.jpg (185.26 KiB) Viewed 16724 times
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
Annapolis, MD
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Excellent pics Eric. Thanks!
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

Not to beat a 3 page topic to death - but - I lost the spade anchor in the photo due to negligence on my part. (I tied off the swivel shackle but not the actual anchor, and as the sea gods would have it, the wire came loose, the pin fell out, and the anchor fell overboard while pounding in 2-4 foots seas for 8 hours.) So I have to buy an new anchor. I was thinking of replacing the spade anchor with either the same anchor (which cost $960) or a Rocna 20 or 25. I noticed two of you posted that you purchased a Rocna. Does anyone other than me own a Spade (www.spadeanchor.com)

I noticed the Rocna is half the price, but twice the weight of the aluminium Spade.

earlier in the summer, with the spade anchor and 20 feet of chain and 20 feet of line, I had five boats rafted in a thunderstorm and it held fine, and the so many other lesser circumstances. But before I spend the money - again, and as the Rocna looks almost the same, I thought I'd ask.

I did buy a Rocna 15 as a secondary anchor, but actually have yet to try it. I had used the fortress one last time and re-decided I was done with a Fortress.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and my apologies for any anchoring emotions this resurrects.

Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
Annapolis, MD
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

That sucks that you lost the anchor! I was just saying to Rebecca that apparently our method of securing our anchor to the bow roller must work as we haven't lost it yet. We use two lengths of old climbing rope. One is run through a shackle at the top of the anchor to stop it from moving forward on the roller (and deploying accidentally) and the other is wrapped around the shank and roller with a constrictor knot to prevent any side to side movement. I took the advice from the Rocna website and use line to secure it instead of a pin. In case we ever need to deploy it in a hurry, the line could be quickly untied or cut.

We have little first-hand experience with other anchors but I will say that our Rocna 15 (with 100' of chain and 200' of rode) has set on the first try every time (knock on wood).
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi eric,

we have a steel spade 100 and a rocna 45# albeit on different boats. we've used spade for 5 years anchoring from new england, icw, and bahamas. we never have had a problem in hundreds of days of anchoring. it has 40' of 5/16" chain and nylon rode.

we bought another boat in new england and as you pointed out rocna is substantially cheaper than spade, so we went with the rocna. we've only used it 4 times all in mud or sand. one of those was a 35+ knot line squall for 15 minutes. so far it has done well. it has 15' of 1/4" chain and nylon rode.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jak430
skipper
skipper

Post by jak430 »

John & Diane
Is the 15' of chain and rode a typo?
Also, is 1/4: chain stong enough for the your vessel?
John & Regina
'DreamCatcher'
S/V PDQ32 Hull #17
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi john,

it's not a typo. it is std equipment with our mainship 34 pilot which we just got. i agree it is marginal and we'll be reviewing at the end of the season. problem is to upsize chain & rode you need to upsize the windlass.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I wouldn't be too worried. The manufacturer is not so dumb.

15 feet of chain is short if there are any rocks on the bottom. That said, on the Chesapeake you would be fine. I had a rig like that for many years. 30' would be better. But with a good anchor, it won't have much affect on holding or setting, with added scope.

1/4-inch G4 chain (grade 43, which is what it probably is) has a SWL of 2,600 pounds (code requirement). The AYBC suggests 1,800 pounds SWL for a 35-foot sailboat and 2,400 pounds for a 40-foot sailboat, so you are well within the guidance even with a catamaran. Both the SWL load figures and the AYBC guidance contain considerable safety factors.

It will be chafe that gets you, not chain failure. Use chafing gear EVERYTIME in the interests of safety and being a cheapskate - your rode will last far longer. If a chain fails, it will always be either a bad swivel (use a load-rated shackle) or the last link where the chain-to-rope splice is (renew the splice every 5 years or when it looks bad).

The basis for my comments is contained in a long blog post (http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2010/ ... r-but.html), mostly in the references. And there is no reason you can't go heavier. Just remember, it is the weakest link that fails (so balance all parts) and that it would take a cat 2 hurricane to deliver the forces necessary to even challenge the rig you have now, in any sort of protected anchorage.

So sleep well.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html