Ground tackle?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
jak430
skipper
skipper

Re: Ground tackle?

Post by jak430 »

We bought our boat in San Diego and took it to the Sea of Cortez recently. Befrore we left we bought a 33# Rocna and have 250' of 5/16" chain and rode with no windlass. We had a good test coming down the outside of the Baja when we had to anchor for two days with the wind blowing 35 to 40 knots. It is recommended to use a scope of between 5 to 1 and 7 to 1. Now that the boat is in the northen sea, the tides are up to 20'. That is why I was asking about the short length. Maybe you do not need a lot of scope in your area and I am sure the tides are not that extreme. I condidered going to 1/4" chain but as Tom says you need the shackles to match the breaking stength.
John
'DreamCatcher"
PDQ32
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I drug my Delta 22 several times in Chesapeake grass. My Fortress 16 works better, and the maker recommends only 5 feet of chain. Exit Delta, enter Manson, which I just bought, never used, and will go with Page 83 to her next Care Provider because its too small for Siesta. Want a Delta 22? come get it. Want a lot of Chain? Ditto. Bring cash or a bigger Manson. or something fattening....
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

Our PDQ 36 came with a 35 lb CQR on 50' of chain. We have been all around the Fla Keys, out to the Dry Tortugas
and along the eastern portion of Fla. Now all of these areas are primarily sandy bottoms, but I've never had a
problem with the anchor dragging - except once when a squall brought 60+ mph winds through the anchorage.
However, I'm planning on replacing it with a rockna & add a delta as a second anchor (with a danforth backup).

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47