Refrigerator

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Mongoosemagic
1st mate
1st mate

Refrigerator

Post by Mongoosemagic »

I just installed a new refrigerator since the old one died. I researched and picked a unit that is made by Engel and is sold in the US via Thetford/Norcold. Model # SCQT-4407. The power usage, based upon where you set the temperature is between 0.5 amps and 3.3 amps per hour which is a lot better than the A-B unit the boat came with. If anyone needs any further info, let me know.
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Re: Refrigerator

Post by holomoku »

So how is the Norcold holding up?
Happy with it?
Amp draw reasonable?

I'm considering one to replace my dead NovaKool.
Mongoosemagic
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Mongoosemagic »

So far the Norcold is holding up. Very low amp draw. The instalation was interesting. I did install two fans. One for the compressor and one in the refrigerator box. There is just enough room for the compressor. The instructions say that there must be enough ventilation so I put a small fan, with a 1 1/2 inch hole through both vertical walls under the sofa. I wired both fans so that if the refrigerator circuit breaker is on, the fans are running.
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Thanks for the info.
I used an Engel chest fridg/freezer this past summer and really was impressed with it's cooling ability.
I had to set it on the lowest setting to use it as a fridge and keep everything from freezing solid.
The swing compressor seemed very efficient. The fan tips are a good idea too....thanks.