Water in starbord rudder tank

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Water in starbord rudder tank

Post by thinwater »

Since before I go the boat, every 2 months about 1-gallon/2 finds its way int to the tank.

* The port side is dry.
* The port side is about 1" higher.
* The water is fresh.
* There are no hardware leaks - I rebedded the few things that had small drips or stains in evidence.

I suspect tha the stern locks scupper are overloading, water is getting during he heaviest rains only, and seeking the lowest point. There is a low baffle at each side under the stearing tube; I can see stains from high water marks where it has over flowed to starboard.

I could drill a hole into the bottom of the fuel locker; I don't fancy conecting these so I won't ( I store small propane bottles in the fuel locker). I could drill a hole straight down. However, the stern compartment is then no longer a flotation tank. The locker could be weather stripped, but my gut says it will either be hard to close, hard on the hinges, or leak anyway, depending on the thickness of the foam.

Experience? Thoughts?

I know that the 36 sufffers from a similar problem, but he geometry is different.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Water in starbord rudder tank

Post by Page 83 »

The hatch drains on the 36 are about 3/8" ID and get plugged by small leaves, insects and dirt. Once plugged, it seems every raindrop that hits the boat gets channeled into that locker, and ends up in the aft air tanks. I've pumped as much as a foot of water out after a month of rainy negligence. That must have been 300# of water on each side! The solution is to A. keep the drains clear, an B. put a well sealed spacer between the deck and the inspection covers over each tank. I have two on each side.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026