Wind genny on davits of a PDQ 32?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Wind genny on davits of a PDQ 32?

Post by mikeandrebecca »

I posted this on our blog today but would love some opinions of other 32 owners.

It’s fun (or frustrating) to hear the differing opinions of solar vs. wind power. As we already have a working solar array, albeit not a huge one, we are once again looking into the process of installing a wind generator. Part of the issue is finding a way to mount the generator that will be strong, safe, easy to install and cost effective (cheap). The picture below shows my latest idea. No laughing at my early-morning graphics!

If the picture above is not worth a thousand words, and I doubt it is, the basic idea would be to put the generator on the centerline of the boat, sitting on a pole which is mounted on a cross brace extended between the dingy davits. The vertical pole could then be braced by supports to the rear railing.

The installation would be easy enough to do, and could no doubt be made strong enough. The other benefit is that the generator would be very much out of the way making it safer. The only downside I can think of, and this is all theory as I don’t really know how they work, is that if while at anchor the boat tends to orient itself into the wind, the airflow to the genny might be disrupted by the mast, etc.

Since posting the above I found the photo below which is pretty much what I was thinking:

Comments on this are welcome!
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Wind genny on davits of a PDQ 32?

Post by amytom »

When I bought my boat it came with 375 watts of solar and a 400 watt Air Breeze. Neither are in perfect condition but the solar routinely puts out 15 amps while the wind gen might get 5-10 amps on a very breezy (25-30knts)day.
If you do decide to put a windgen on I would consider the starboard corner. Mounting the pole right inside the corner rail with high braces running to the deck at right angles to each other. Mount it high enough so that even a tall person can't reach it if they tried. Mounting off the davits could be a problem when fishing off the stern.
I've even considered just removing the windgen. I may pull to test and if it passes their operational test sell it. If it doesn't pass then repair and try again.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

That's exactly what I mean about the wind vs. solar debate. I hear many people with views just like yours and then others with the exact opposite opinions. Confusing!

A couple of questions if you don't mind elaborating:

1. Why starboard as opposed to port?
2. Would the braces you speak of block the access to that side of the transom?
3. Do you have a pic of your install that I could see?
4. Why would a center-mounted wind genny be any more of a hindrance to fishing than one mounted in the corner. In visualizing it I would think it would be the opposite. Curious why you feel that way.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Starboard because most of your power wiring is already on that side.

Fishing often involves moving aroud the boat to bring in the "Big One". If the wind generator pole is mounted too far out on the davits you won't be able to pass the rod around to get to the other side.

If you live in an area that has lot's of wind and hardly any sun then the wind generator would be better than the solar. In Florida and the Caribbean there's plenty of sun and less wind.

The pole and braces in the corner aren't in the way for us. I'll try to get a picture of the wind generator tomorrow.

Tom
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Starboard because most of your power wiring is already on that side.

Makes sense.

Fishing often involves moving aroud the boat to bring in the "Big One". If the wind generator pole is mounted too far out on the davits you won't be able to pass the rod around to get to the other side.

Ahhh, I see now.

If you live in an area that has lot's of wind and hardly any sun then the wind generator would be better than the solar. In Florida and the Caribbean there's plenty of sun and less wind.

OK.

The pole and braces in the corner aren't in the way for us. I'll try to get a picture of the wind generator tomorrow.

Thank you!
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

It was getting dark by the time I got to the boat to get the pictures. BlackBerry cameras don't work too well in the dark but here we go anyways.
Winde Generator tower in aft starboard corner
Winde Generator tower in aft starboard corner
IMG00078.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 12003 times
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks Tom. The photo is fine. I can get the basic idea of what the install looks like. So obviously with that height of brace you can just go underneath it if you want to exit at the starboard transom.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Yep, and it acutally helps the kids by giving them something extra to hold on to. Also makes a nice leaning post for men when nature calls during the night watch.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

:)