Canadian registration?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Canadian registration?

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Are there any Canadians here who have "registered" (documented for the US readers) their PDQ 32? I searched the forum and found one listed (Bravo 2) but it was an LRC model.

Mike
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Canadian registration?

Post by windrush »

Hi Mike; I can answer your question because I've just finished the registration of our PDQ 36 "Windrush" (ne The Cats Aweigh) in Canada. Go to the Vessel Registration Query System page of Transport Canada http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/4/v ... spx?lang=e, then go to the "advanced search" and put "PDQ" in the builder block. You'll see 21 PDQs that have been registered, some of which are probably 32s, just click on each number to check. All the best...
Bruce
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks Bruce! I didn't see the advanced search option before. That worked. Believe it or not only one of all those boats was a 32 classic: Midori. That will hopefully do though. What I am hoping is that they can use the figures from a "sister ship" instead of requiring us to get a tonnage survey. Fingers crossed!
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Post by windrush »

Hi Mike;
Good luck!! Maybe you know someone that can help, but when I tried the same thing, everyone I talked to at Transport Canada was sympathetic, but no one would give an inch. In the end I had to hire a tonnage measurer in Florida to do the measurements and file it in Canada....very expensive!! If there's anything I can do (names, numbers, etc) just give me a shout.
Bruce
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks Bruce. I DO NOT know anyone. Having someone on the inside sure would be helpful! I'll post my progress.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Follow up on this... it was suggested by Don Powers at Transport Canada that I contact a surveyor in Simcoe that he knew had done some PDQs before. I looked it up and contacted Gary Ainsworth. He said no problem. All I had to do was send him 5 pics of our boat and for 200.00 he would complete the paperwork. He had the survey at the Transport Canada office before the rest of our paperwork was completed.

One thing we learned through this process is not only can you not have a vessel with a name spelled the same as another Canadian boat, you can't have one with a name that even SOUNDS LIKE another Canadian boat. So, because the name Katana (Catana actually) was already taken, we had to choose another name. Our PDQ 32 is now officially known as Zero To Cruising (all "official" de-naming and naming ceremonies were completed so as not to offend the gods).