Compression post seal

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Compression post seal

Post by amytom »

The bottom of the compression post as been moist for some time but now it drips and has damaged the floor board under the table. At one time (after running the radar cable) I resealed the drain tube and cable-way under the forward seat. Any advice for resealing the bottom of the compression post itself?
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Compression post seal

Post by Catrina »

I can't help with sealing the compression post, but on my 32003 I found that moisture was caused by water collecting in the base of the mast step. I drilled a hole to drain water the collected in the mast base and solved the moisture problem I had that occurred from time to time.
Catrina - MV34 Hull # 55 - 110HP - 4 Blade props
JerryC
deckhand
deckhand

Post by JerryC »

You need to put a 6" opp plastic pipe & silicone it in the wireing hole. I found a size that fits tight

Jerry
pilgrim
deckhand
deckhand

Post by pilgrim »

Jerry,
I have had this problem since I bought my PDQ hull #20. Did you drill the hole in the mast step? and I don't understand about the 6" plastic pipe. Could you explain please.
The way I remember my setup is the mast steps on deck in a cast fitting with a wiring tube standing vertically in the center of the step that the mast and radar wires was fed down and through the compression tube. During moderate or greater rain I get water dripping out of the compression tube bottom where the wires exit and go back through the seat panel. Anything you do so I can fix this would be helpful.
Thanks,
Bob (pilgrim)
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Catrina »

In the cast base I drilled a hole in Hull #3 to let any standing water inside the mast at the cast base run out. Did not have any leaks inside after that.
JerryC
deckhand
deckhand

Post by JerryC »

The cast mast step has a hole in it for the wires to go down the compression tube. I have a piece of 6" plastic siliconed into the recess in the cast step where the wires go down. It sounds like you need to add or re silicone the plastic tube. If the water in the mast gets deeper than 6" I assume I would get water at the base of the compression post but I believe it seeps out before getting that deep.
pilgrim
deckhand
deckhand

Post by pilgrim »

Thanks for the info but when I was at the boat on the weekend I lost the courage to go drilling into the mast! Could you tell me if a 1/4 inch hole about 3 inches from the bottom of the mast sounds ok ? Also did you drill a hole on both port and starboard sides or did you use a single hole? Sorry for the questions but I have a problem with drilling holes in my boat particularly in a standing mast.
Thanks for anything that you can add.

Pilgrim
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Catrina »

I did not drill a hole in the mast. I drilled a hole in the cast base that the mast sits on. I was only 1/4 inch, just enough to let water drain out.
pilgrim
deckhand
deckhand

Post by pilgrim »

Catrina, thanks for the info. It seems that my mast step must be the reverse of yours. It consists of a flat piece that mates to the deck with a raised section in the center that the mast slides over and is centered on. After reading your description I went to the boat and drilled a small test hole near the bottom of the mast where it rests on the plate. I could see that I went through the mast and entered the piece that centers the mast on the step. I then drilled a 3/16 hole about two inches higher and found empty space inside the mast. We had pretty heavy rain last night and a check this AM indicates no water on the cabin floor. That is not final proof but I believe the problem is taken care of. Thanks for all of the help.

pilgrim
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Pilgrim,

Any pictures of your mast step and where you chose to drill? I'm tired of having a rag taped to the bottom of the mast step.

Tom
pilgrim
deckhand
deckhand

Post by pilgrim »

amytom,
I will be happy to post a photo once I have one and then figure out how to do it.
what I can do is send you one (as soon as I take one) via regular email and then work on posting it on the forum it will still take me about a week as I will be away from the boat for about that time.
pilgrim