Water leak from Compression post

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Water leak from Compression post

Post by MIDORI »

In a hard rain I have a leak from the bottom of the compression post. It appears that water is dripping from the wire loom that rums down the mast. Has anyone had the same issue? Any suggestion how to deal with the leak or stop the water?

Brian
MIDORI
Brian
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Water leak from Compression post

Post by amytom »

I have the same problem. Originally the bottom of the post had a RTV seal and the wire chase had a seal and a drain tube leading overboard. My bottom seal is now leaking. I was going to just re-seal with RTV unless I hear otherwise.
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Brian,
the mast wiring enters the boat thru a short PVC tube in the center of the mast base. Sounds like the seal around the tube may have deteriorated, the tube may not have been installed, or there is no drip loop in the wiring harness before it enters the tube. If the halyards exit your mast at the base, try looking in thru the slots and see what you can find. James
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

James,

I pulled the scheaves out of the mast to view the cable entrance. I can't quite see all the way down but it looks like there's no seal of any type. Infact when I installed the radar I dropped a string with a weight on it down from the spreaders through the compression post. (seems a stroke of luck to get it through)

What's the best repair option? Fill the bottom of the mast with either RTV or spray foam? rebuild the RTV "plug" on the bottom of the compression post? Move the post drain line to the very bottom and recap?

I'd like to avoid pulling the mast.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Tom
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Tom,

The proper fix would be to lift the mast, install the tube if missing, and create a drip loop in the wiring harness. I would stay away from foaming the mast base. Not sure about the "plug'' at the bottom of the post, I dont think that was factory. You may want to check the condition of the mast wire connections if there has been a leak. James