Opening salon hatches

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Opening salon hatches

Post by mikeandrebecca »

I am assuming that all the other 32s are rigged similarly to ours with the halyards and topping lift run overtop of the overhead salon hatches. My solution to opening the hatches is to tie off both the topping lift and the headsail halyard with rolling hitches to the mast step to take the load. I then ease the lines from the spinlocks and can open the hatches. It is a tiny PITA but it works. Anyone else have another solution?

Mike
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Opening salon hatches

Post by amytom »

My boat was re-rigged completely. All lines lead through deck organizers to the starboard side except the main sheet wich is now controlled from the back of the boom and the topping lift which is tied to a cleat on the mast. (I leave the topping lift on all the time as raising the sail lifts it slightly higher anyways).

The new location of the deck organizers is clear of the hatches; now the main traveller...

Tom
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

mikeandrebecca wrote:I am assuming that all the other 32s are rigged similarly to ours with the halyards and topping lift run overtop of the overhead salon hatches. My solution to opening the hatches is to tie off both the topping lift and the headsail halyard with rolling hitches to the mast step to take the load. I then ease the lines from the spinlocks and can open the hatches. It is a tiny PITA but it works. Anyone else have another solution?

Mike
Please. post a picture on your blog.

I would think a jammer on the mast for the jib halyard is better. Why lead it to the cockpit, since it is seldom used and would require folks on-deck anyway? I think that is pointless cockpit clutter.

I kind of feel the same about the TL, though much less adamantly. Cockpit routing is useful when reefing, but when hoisting or lowering you're going to be one deck tying the sail down anyway.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

My hatches are forward of the lines so there is no conflict.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

thinwater wrote:Please. post a picture on your blog.

thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I wonder whether it was PDQ or a PO that committed that brilliance.... I'm betting PO.

Which line is which? I stay with my prior suggestion on the jib halyard; I would add a mast jammer. Failing that, I would simply leave it tied off all the time, perhaps with some spectra line, so that I would last. I don't any benefit to leading that line to the cockpit. I would free it up so that if I added a 3rd reef to my main, I could use that cockpit equipment.

BTW, if you were going to do that, there is no room in the boom anyway and the friction would be too great. I would simply use separate fore and aft lines for simple control in crap conditions.

As for the TL, can you move the block a few holes without too much chafe? Can the mast exit be smoothed or padded with HDPE in some way? That would be simple than adding another deck organizer or another block.

For the jib halyard, I would consider padding the mast exit with a bit of 1-inch tubular climbing webbing threaded over the line.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

On the pics I posted, the green one is the jib halyard. It is the only one of issue on that side, even though the red spinnaker halyard runs over the hatch as well. On the port side the topping lift and main halyard run over the hatch, with the TL being the only one I need to deal with. The jammer for the jib halyard makes sense. It is hardly ever dealt with.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I agree with Drew, My jib and spinnaker halyard are both on jammers at the mast and the TL is tied off to a cleat on the mast.

Your self tacker jib sheet car, is that two cars bolted together? I haven't seen one like that.

Tom
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Yes, that is for the self tacking jib. The blocks are all shackled to it because we have our Genoa up right now instead of the jib. What does yours look like?
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Ours is one single car with two blocks on it (the third being on the jib). Functionally the same just different way to set it up.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

I like the idea of jammers on the mast. Might have to look into that.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I looked at my set up today. It is no different than what is shown in the photos except that the blocks are located to the mast base plate using the holes farthest aft. Seems to work fine and does not interfere with hatch.
Henry
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

That would be an easy fix for sure. I'll look at that and see how it works. Thanks.