“Bunking a PDQ Altar supported only by supports under the Br

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Magic Time
1st mate
1st mate

“Bunking a PDQ Altar supported only by supports under the Br

Post by Magic Time »

“Bunking a PDQ Altar supported only by supports under the Bridge deck.”

Would any one know if the 32 can be bunked using stands, only under the three main bulkheads that are along the length of the bridge deck, and no blocks under the two hull or keelets.
I would like to gain access to the bottoms of the keelets for repair and painting.

I would also like to be able to use a flat bead trailer ( suitable for the weight ) to haul the boat out onto a beach. The Trailer would be placed between the two hulls with the appropriately placed and secured stands or blocks. The hulls would be protruding over the sides of the trailer un supported.
If any one has done this or is familiar with the structural design of the boat please contact me.
Thanks Much
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: “Bunking a PDQ Altar supported only by supports under the Br

Post by doubledutch »

Yes you can support under the bridge deck only but you should only do this for short term needs. I have had my boat carried on a trailer supported under the bridge deck only. I have also worked on the keels in this way however I always block under the keels for long term storage.
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Catrina »

When I owned PDQ32 hull number 3, we used a flatbed trailer to move it into storage and back out for 12 years. Used jackstands under carbon fiber cross beam (12 inches back from start of non-skid) and rear bulkhead (start of non-skid). It was never on the trailer for more than 1 hour each time. Did some keel repair this way also.
Catrina - MV34 Hull # 55 - 110HP - 4 Blade props
Magic Time
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Magic Time »

hI
DOUBLEDUTCH AND CATRINA
Thanks for getting back.
At the present time I have to re apply a bairier coat of interlux interprotect 2000 and then my regular antifowling witch is Micron Extra.
Iterlux stated that the imersion time is 16 hours for the Micron Extra after the last coat.
So if do the recomended 4coats of interprotect taking into concideration the recomended time between coats 1/2 hr to 2 dependent on temp ane humidity ( using the thump print test ) and the time for the Micron Extra 2 coats and 16 hrs to imersion I will need 24 Hours minimum time blocked by the bridge deck.

Do you feel this would be an acceptable amount of time with the hulls not supported.
I can support the hull one of two ways.

1) I can simply place a jack stand under each of the 3 main beams in the bridge deck, in line (fore and aft)and to the out side of the engine sponsons.
2)or I could place a plank on the top of the three stands linking the three stands that are placed along each side to help distribut the load more evenly.

I am hoping to do this work in the next two days. The alternative at this time seams to be to be in the slings of a travel lift. Unfortunatly the yard will not let me stay in the slings that long and I am not sure that there would be any less detrimental strain in staying in the slind for 24 hrs vs bunking under the bridge deck.

Yours or any ones oppinion would be appreciated

Thanks
Magic Time
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I don't think you will have a problem. It is important to avoid stress concentration at the support points. You should use full width supports at the front and rear of the bridge deck. I also have a rubber pad on the top of the planks that span between my stand support points.

Henry
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Related to this, I have always supported Phenix (32007) on the keels, then with 2 jackstands under each of the crossbeams. I think this year, I will use carpet-covered 2x8s to go between the jackstands and the crossbeams to distribute the compression from the jackstands. As the boat is now in the water (coming out next week), and it's too cold for me to jump in and swim underneath and measure :) can anyone tell me how long the 2x8s should be cut to?

I'm thinking 8 feet but that might be a little too long.
--
fredandkathy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by fredandkathy »

The length of the cross members should be about 7 feet. I have Evening Star (hull #16) on a lift in the Manatee Pocket in Port Salerno, Fl. I used 2X12 PT lumber for all of my supports. I have aluminum I beams connected to the lift cross I beams with a 2X12X12' laying on top and carpeted that provides support for the keels. I have under bridge deck support for 2 of the boats cross beams. Vertical aluminium poles with carpeted 2X12X7' on top of these poles provide a good portion of the support. I don't know the support weight ratio between the bridge deck support and keel support but so far it seems to work, 10 months into this.

Fred