Dinghy survey

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Dinghy survey

Post by mikeandrebecca »

I am curious...

What size and type of dinghy do you keep on your PDQ 32?

What size and type of outboard do you use with it?

Please share.

Mike
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Dinghy survey

Post by amytom »

We have an Achilles 9'6" wood floor model with a Yamaha 4cy 4HP. I hate it!!!
I'm looking to replace it with a FRP/Hypalon model. I've picked up a used Yamaha 2cy 15HP that needs work and I'll try it with the Achilles but it's probably overkill.
If anyone sees a good deal on a RHIB ...
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

9' inflatable "sport boat" with floorboards and and inflatable keel.

3.5 hp Merc. 2st

JUST fits between the transoms, after I cut the bow handle off.

Will plane with me at ~ 15 knots if I get my weight forward (make a tiller extention--it is safer to sit a bit further forward) and have it pumped up hard, but not with 2 people. Also will not plane if there is ANY water in the fuel, ANY water under the floorboards, or any extra junk in the boat. I would vote for 6 hp being about right for these boats.

Also, a wierd thing; when I painted the boat I added a rub strip under the transom to take wear from mooring lines. It is a vinyl stair edging, carefully faired to the bottom of the boat with PU caulk. Well, it seems to make for a cleaner water separation at the transom and a BIG increase in planing ability. If I had known it would make a difference, I would have considered some sort of trim tab extention. Very weird.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

M & R,

We have a 9' Zodiac FR (Fast Roller) soft floor with inflatable keel that we bought with a Yamaha 8HP 4-stroke motor. The combo runs great, we added Dole fins to the motor and the inflatable has removeable trim tabs that level the ride. For our needs we rarely need that much power (except when my "tiny frame" is aboard and get up on plane). The boat comes with a two stage pump and the floor is really pretty firm for a soft bottom, we've had it about 4 years now and it's holding up well.

Downsides:
1) With the soft bottom you can't climb up the motor like a RIB unless someone is forward in the boat - it's too light and will flip over (I've been known to put a loop in the painter and do my best walrus imitation over the bow).

2) We found that the combined weight with the 8hp is too heavy for our Kato Marine davits (boat 60lbs + motor 90lbs). So for now we keep the 8HP in our shed and mounted a used 3.5 Yamaha 2-cycle (29lbs), that combo doesn't overload the davits and does fine around the DC Channel or for short runs to shore.

If you're shopping new in the smaller engines, everyone I know that has the Honda 2.5 4-stroke really likes them, very dependable and only 25lbs. If we decide to take a long trip we'll probably upgrade the davits for carrying the 8hp, in wind or weather the Yamaha 3.5 would be pretty minimal. We've had pretty good luck with the Yamaha's they both run well and have been dependable.

I've had to change my old rule, "Never own an outboard heavier than you can throw overboard after the 20th pull..."

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We have a 8' Walker Bay PVC inflatable and a 4 HP 4 stroke Tohatsu outboard. What I'd really like is a nice small RIB with a 9.9 on it. I'm not so sure our davits, or our boat and especially our budget would like that though.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

We have the Hypalon Avon RIB. I would probably buy the Walker Bay RIB next. If you check http://www.inflatablexperts.com in Eastport, or Criag's list, there may be some good deals to be had. This areas is really good for Craig's list.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Or perhaps we'll get this one...

http://www.snotr.com/video/5383
jak430
skipper
skipper

Post by jak430 »

We have an 8' rigid Walker Bay with tube kit and sail package. It is a hoot to sail at anchorages. A 2.5 hp Mercury is all it needs.
John & Regina
'DreamCatcher'
PDQ32
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

M & R,

You can always go this route...

http://www.flyingbeachboat.com/flight.htm - waaaay cool...

Mike & Linda
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

http://www.sunsetinflatables.com/ab9ululrib.html 68# hypolon/aluminum Rib w/ 8hp tohatsu 4s. Lightest rib I could find, Works good, costs a lot.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
fredandkathy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by fredandkathy »

We have an Achilles 8'6", wood floor with a 2HP 2 stroke Suzuki. I have only used it a little as we have not cruised the boat yet but so far I've spent more time fixing stubborn leaks and the wood floor than anything else. It's slow and does not steer well with the flat bottom and I would not buy another. As soon as the boat budget is replenished, I'll be looking for another so I very much appreciate all the posts to this thread.

Fred
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

I just put Sandy's link for the new alum AB at the top of my wish list! But that will have to wait until next year.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

We have a West Marine 310 RIB and an 8HP 2 STROKE Yamaha and are very pleased.

On our 32 the dinghy davits hold the dinghy length on top of the sugar scoop and still allow acess.

Go for the ridged floor for durability and the 2 stroke for HP with low weight. We use a single block attached to the boom to hoist the engine from the rail mount on and off the dinghy.

We can keep up with the 9.9 4 strokes.

Pic at http://www.sailblogs.com/member/midori/ ... pid=160858

Brian
MIDORI
Brian
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks everyone. We went to look at a used Caribe 9' RIB this evening. The guy really should have pumped it up and cleaned it. I think we'll pass on this one.
fredandkathy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by fredandkathy »

Does anyone know the weight limitations for the dinghy davits? I don't have any specs on them in my brochure packets that came with the boat from the PO. We are currently looking at new dinghy models and are impressed with the new AB aluminium RIBs, although the price is a bit steep but maybe worth it for the weight savings. The AB 9'6'' with a Yamaha 9.9 is about $7K and combined weight (boat is 105 and motor is 90) is just under 200lbs. That would place about 150 lbs on the davit holding the motor end. It would seem that the davits could hold this but I just want to make sure. Ideally, I would like to be able to store it with motor still attached for ease of use and theft protection. I see Midori removes the motor from the dinghy. Any comments appreciated. fred