Engine Cables

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
SteppingStone
1st mate
1st mate

Engine Cables

Post by SteppingStone »

Does anyone know the cable length for the throttle cable on the starboard side to the Yamaha? mine is ready for replacement.
Nina Bonita
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Engine Cables

Post by Nina Bonita »

Sorry for the late reply. Use Supreme 33 cables - 8' & 11' I believe the 11' is for the port engine.
Gus
empty nester sailor
Root
skipper
skipper

Post by Root »

Just noticed your question. I recently replaced the engine cables on our PDQ 36 and the old ones had the lengths stamped on them. Ray
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I am going to replace the engine shifting cables on the port engine on Phenix (32007). I did the starboard a few years ago. If anyone has done this, can they confirm the above post - Supreme 33 cable with 11 foot length?
--
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We're going to need to do this too.
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Replaced the port throttle and shift cables today. Not the easiest thing we've done but easier than a few years ago when we replaced the starboard ones. The reason it is difficult is that the fit is very, very tight between the shift levers and the battery/engine compartment below it. The horizontal run under the door is easy.

A few years ago, when we did the starboard ones, we pulled the old ones out then had a very difficult (almost impossible) time getting the new ones fed through. This time, my mechanic made a female-female "connector" that allowed us to attache the old and new cables, then pull the old one out and put the new one in at the same time. Still not easy, though. A few tips:

- Do one cable at a time
- Do not just pull the old cable out from the shift levers, it will become further wedged where it turns to go up. Instead ...
- Disconnect the old cable from the port engine, then pull most of it out from the starboard engine well (under the shift levers). This is a two-person job, one has to grab it and pull it while the other person is pushing it.
- Attach the new cable to the old cable AT THE SHIFT LEVEL END with the "home-made connector".
- Now pull the cable downward through from the starboard well, while someone is feeding from the top. It is a VERY tight fit, try to keep your swearing to a minimum!

Here are some pics. If some of this doesn't make sense, I can clarify.

If anyone wants to borrow my "home-made connector", let me know.
CIMG0021 (Small).JPG
CIMG0021 (Small).JPG (51.23 KiB) Viewed 11747 times
CIMG0019 (Small).JPG
CIMG0019 (Small).JPG (96.42 KiB) Viewed 11746 times
CIMG0018 (Small).JPG
CIMG0018 (Small).JPG (99.88 KiB) Viewed 11752 times
CIMG0017 (Small).JPG
CIMG0017 (Small).JPG (102.17 KiB) Viewed 11754 times
CIMG0016 (Small).JPG
CIMG0016 (Small).JPG (63.8 KiB) Viewed 11748 times
Attachments
CIMG0020 (Small).JPG
CIMG0020 (Small).JPG (23.65 KiB) Viewed 11747 times
--
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

This is exactly what I came here looking for today. I have to change the throttle and shift cables (both engines) in the next week or two. Thanks so much!