Bent starboard rudder post.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Bent starboard rudder post.

Post by amytom »

Sailed down to Key Largo this past week. On the way down we found some rocks in 20 feet of water outside of Biscayne Bay. After checking bilges we found the steering was frozen. Dropped anchor to jump in and take a look and found the starboard rudder post bent enough so that the top back corner of the rudder had jammed into the hull. Opened the crash tank port I had added and found it full of water. We disconnected the rudder link rod and installed the emergency tiller handle in the port side and continued on towards John Pennekamp. At Key Largo we went to WM to get a large bilge pump, hose, and wire to pump out the steering compartment. In the area directly above the back corner of the rudder I could see two areas that were cracked and raised up by about 1/8" and they were seeping water in. The compartment (maybe 50 gallons) fills within a couple of hours.
We were able to sail her back to Melbourne with the emergency tiller but it was a long overnight on the Atlantic sitting on the tiller w/o the autopilot.

As you can see in the picture it's time to do a bottom paint job anyways.
Starboard rudder top back corner jammed into hull
Starboard rudder top back corner jammed into hull
IMG_0003.JPG (39.57 KiB) Viewed 9101 times

Now the questions:

1) How to pull the rudder, on the hard digging a whole under the boat or in the water before hauling out?
2) How long is the rudder post? How much room under the boat is needed to pull the rudder?
3) How is the rudder held in? Just the quadrant and the link arm or is there more in there? Any bearings?
4) How big of an area should I grind out to reglass the crack?
5) Where in Central Florida can I haul out and do this kind of work myself (Titusville?)

And any thoughts, advice, and prayers are always welcome.

Tom
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: Bent starboard rudder post.

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hey Tom

I don't have the answers to any of your questions but just wanted to say that we are sorry for your unfortunate luck. I hope you can remedy the situation quickly, easily and with out too much $$$.

Mike
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

When that happened to me on my 36, I removed the rudder by digging a hole deep enough to remove the rudder. I then drilled a new set screw hole about an inch higher in the rudder post.....just enough to let the rudder clear the bottom of the boat and reinstalled the rudder. It worked great...no performance issues but I replaced the rudder anyway.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

James Power has mastered the art of unbending rudders (when the damage is not excessive) without removing them from the boat. I believe he is starting his annual tour soon. I have also heard from the old hands about straightening rudder posts with a sand pile and a jeep.

Short form: You aren't the first, you won't be the last, and its just not that bad.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Page 83 wrote:James Power has mastered the art of unbending rudders (when the damage is not excessive) without removing them from the boat. I believe he is starting his annual tour soon. I have also heard from the old hands about straightening rudder posts with a sand pile and a jeep.

Short form: You aren't the first, you won't be the last, and its just not that bad.

That makes me feel much better. I do think it needs to come out of the water due to the hull damage and resulting leak but as far as fixing the rudder; I do have a Jeep!?!

On a related thought, Last bottom paint I used was the West Marine PCA which I've found for $129/gallon. I've also been looking at Marpro Super_B Ablative 45 at $70/gallon. The cheaper paint allows for more coats. Anyone have experience with these paints for salty/brackish water?

Tom
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

The only part of bottom paint that matters are the toxins, copper and/or a witch's brew of slime killer. pick up a gallon of each and notice the difference in weight. Its just the amount of metal in each can. The best buy is the cheapest by weight.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026