Trying hard not to break our boat, but...

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Trying hard not to break our boat, but...

Post by mikeandrebecca »

While bashing into the trade winds,the post on the after end of the table which goes from the salon floor to the roof is jumping out of the top block which holds it. It appears as if it is only inside that block about an eighth of an inch and when the boat flexes, it jumps out, requiring us to knock it back in. Any comments on reasons why this is happening or fixes?

Thanks in advance,

Mike (really trying hard not to break the boat while getting south)
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Re: Trying hard not to break our boat, but...

Post by Allezcat »

Hey Mike

I have an older model 36 (1991) that had a support from the top of the table to the salon roof. I removed it years ago with no adverse effects. I believe it was there to support any heavy persons walking on the cabin roof. It sounds like the bridgedeck is flexing from the wave bashing forcing the brace up and then causing it to pop out of its receptacle. Have you thought about just removing it? I have inspected the underside of Allezcat several times for cracks having found none. I have done my share of wave bashing also but the boat seems to take it in stride (structurally).

Chet
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

It is definitely flexing and we can see it happen when we hit a big wave. I was concerned that this was structural. Thanks for your info. I could also modify the top block, making it a bit "taller" so that the post couldn't slip out.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Mike,

Another option might be to make the sleeve a little longer add about 1" around the post so that it can't pop out when the boat flexes. It looks to me like the top part is thick enough to add on to. I would think that 1"x1" hardwood would work to make an extension "frame" and screw it into the top - the post would slide on it during a wave flex but not come free.

Just a thought,

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Hmmm, ours has a stainless post in the same spot. It is hard mounted to the floor and the ceiling. Not sure if the "flex" is necessary or if you could just reattach the post to prevent any movement?
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Mike: Exactly what I was thinking.

Tom: Good question!
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Same as Anytom. SS post, no movement.

You could removing it, but I would hesitate unless I understood EXACTLY what was flexing (top or bottom) and why. I'm guessing the mast is pressing the floor downward just a bit at times (even though the mast sits on a beam) (can't see what would lift the roof). IF that is the case, reinforcing the roof with some carbon fiber for stiffening would work.

Besides, in nasty weather it is a useful handhold. That, and our TV is attached to it!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html