Mounting and venting of the Excel water heater on the 32

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Mounting and venting of the Excel water heater on the 32

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I quoted this from a topic in the PDQ 36 section but as it relates only to the 32, I'm furthering the discussion here.
amytom wrote: I put the Excell water heater in the starboard bow compartment right above the blackwater tank.
The original tank was the Wolter and it was up in the front of that starboard bow compartment, under the vent that screws up to vent the exhaust of the heater. I think the owner of Katrina (a 32) said that when he installed the Excel, he could not install it in that location, as it would not vent well enough and kept shutting off. So I think he installed it on the inside wall directly below the hatch, then would need to leave the hatch open when the heater was on. I am not 100% clear on this because he doesn't own Katrina anymore and I forgot to ask him for a picture.

I am about to mount the Excel heater in Phenix and would be very interested in where yours is mounted and how you did it? Any pictures?

Thanks.
--
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Mounting and venting of the Excel water heater on the 32

Post by amytom »

I mounted it in the starboard compartment on the inboard side just below the hatch. For ventilation I have a solar fan similar to the one you just installed on the port side. I actually have one on both sides; port is for the fridge and freezer ventilation, starboard is for the water heater and black water tank ventilation.

The heater went in very easy and if you already have the propane plumbed to the area it can be done in under an hour, very straight forward.

I'm working in Bogota this week so I can't get down to take pictures but send me an e-mail this weekend if you still need them

Tom
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

It was bound to happen. Our Excell heater failed. Has anyone taken there's apart for repairs?
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

I haven't taken one apart, but thought I'd give a couple tips on operation.

The Excel heater is great, BUT it has a couple things you really need to know. I kept having trouble with it shutting off in the middle of a shower, which, as you can imagine, is sort of a drag...

There are two things which cause it to automatically shut off during operation. The first is overheating, which hasn't been much of a problem for me (though I thought that was the problem for a while). The second is inadequate water flow. That can be a real problem. If you set the heater too hot and want to add a bit of cold water during a shower, the pump may not be able to give the heater enough water and it may shut off. The trick is to set the temp on the heater so you use only hot water during a shower and washing, etc.

Once I got the right temp setting, it worked like a charm.

Good luck.
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

/Users/kathielong/Desktop/IMG_1898.jpg
Kevin.... I'm unfamiliar with the Altair's and not sure if you have the room but some of the 36 owners have mounted the units inside to cut down on corrosion and gain access, myself included, hopefully the photo posted.
Tom..... With your electro/mechanical expertise I'm sure you could take it apart and put it back together blindfolded, by the way I owe you so if you need help I could stand by and hand you the tools.
Brendan.. My unit cycles on and off while showering (very frustrating) hot and cold, hot and cold. I'm curious where your "sweet spot" is on the temp control knob? Are you turning it to the halfway mark or past? I appreciate any help.
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

IMG_1898.jpg
IMG_1898.jpg (27.41 KiB) Viewed 11589 times
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Hi Jim,
My sweet spot on the Excel is actually quite low. Both knobs are near the minimum setting. And like I said, I never add cold water to the hot at the faucet.
Hope this helps.

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

Thanks Brendan, I'll give it a shot.