vibration in sole/bulkhead from engines

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
bg5w
skipper
skipper

vibration in sole/bulkhead from engines

Post by bg5w »

I am trying to be careful, and not call it engine noise or engine vibration, because it is the vibration in both the cockpit sole and aft bulkhead caused by the engines.

I've noticed between the innner and outer skin on the bulkhead is sandwiched sections of poly pipe insulation to deaden the sound/vibration. Has anyone injected expandable foam insulation into thse areas? I don't think placing gaskets on the transoms where the engines are mounted would make much difference. When somebody heavy stands in the middle of the cockpit, the sound lessens. and when I push against bulkhead, this also occurs. I guess I could hire a heavy guy to stand there all day while leaning forward, but looking for something more reliable.

Thanks,

Bob Gruber
Island Time
Nina Bonita
deckhand
deckhand

Re: vibration in sole/bulkhead from engines

Post by Nina Bonita »

I have owned my 3208 PDQ`since 1995. The outboard engines do vibrate and make excess noise. The obvious remedies are to throttle down. Maybe down the road I will replace the weatherstripping around the engine covers. It's just that I use the engines as little as possible and prefer to sail. :)
Gus
empty nester sailor