How to remove quad spin lock

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

How to remove quad spin lock

Post by MIDORI »

I have broken a lever on the quad spin lock. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the spin lock off the deck without taking a piece of deck off?

MIDORI
Brian
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: How to remove quad spin lock

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hi Brian

I don't have the answer to that but is it not possible to change out the lever without removing the spin lock from the deck? I hope it is. I bought an extra lever because a friend told me that they do sometimes break but as of yet, I have not had to break it out.

Mike
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

You can get a replacement lever and install it, without removing the rest of the unit. Remove the thru bolt that holds all the levers, to remove the bad one. I can't remember exactly how to do it, but once you start I'm sure you'll figure it out. Just go slowly and try to keep all the levers lined up. This makes getting the thru bolt to slide back in easier. I can't remember where I got the lever, I guess you can google Spinlock.
Marc
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

Broken levers can be replaced without removing the spinlock from the deck.

In the case of my 32, I did have to remove the furller spinlock in order to tap out the pin in the spinlock. Removal of the spinlock requires droping the stateroom cieling pannel.

The pin was stuck, I used a C clamp to hold the fairing sides together, a drop of penatrating oil to tap the pin back and forth.

Once I had the pin moving, I removed the C clamp and punched the pin just enough to remove the fairing. You might have to loosen the fasteners as the older XA series spinlock fairing does share the fastener holes.

There is a good video on the spinlock web site for the XAS series, which is similar to the XA spinlock on the older 32's.
Brian