Ice Box Lid

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Ice Box Lid

Post by bg5w »

I have the top opeining ice box. The refrigeration unit runs contantly, although it keeps things cold, and works well. I was planning to replace the gasket, but the current one appears to be in good shape.
I read on an earlier post where someone installed a flush hatch on the lid. This makes sense, as it's only the weight of the lid to make a good seal. Has anyone installed a latch on the box lid, and if so, what type?

Thanks,
Bob Gruber
Island Time 32
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Ice Box Lid

Post by SecondWind »

More than likely your problem is not the lid, but rather that the insulation around the box has deteriorated. If possible you can slide pieces of aluminum coated foam around the box and filled the gaps with expanding foam. We did have a latch on our lid, but it did not pull down tight enough to make any difference. The other addition which we made was a sliding piece of Lexan at the front of the opening where it dips down. This allowed us to open the reefer without spilling all of the cold air out each time it was opened.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Here's a little trick that has helped us over the years. We have zip lock bags filled loosely with shipping foam peanuts, and we fill-in empty areas inside the fridge as we use up food. Although a little inconvenient, keeping it full like this really helps in cutting down running time. Also' the add'l insulation and the front pannel, as mentioned.
Marc
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I suggest you check your system cooling fluid pressure. When my unit needs a recharge it still keeps things cold but it runs non stop.

You can buy a recharge kit with gauge and it is a simple operation. Just be careful not to overcharge the system as that will also reduce performance.
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Post by bg5w »

All good suggestions. Check the insulation, gasket, and cooling fluid. I'll do them in series to see what works. Thanks

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We also had a situation where our compressor would run non-stop. The cause of ours was actually too much refrigerant in the system, not too little. While more insulation will help in the long run, as mentioned, it may not fix the problem. I would definitely have someone check the refrigerant level before spending too much time on the other thing.