water leaking from shower into starboard bilge

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
danhaun
skipper
skipper

water leaking from shower into starboard bilge

Post by danhaun »

Hi All,

I found this problem described by amytom in a previous post but I did not find the solution. About 1/2 of the shower water finds it's way to the sump but the other half gets to the bilge. I obviously need to change the hose or fitting under the shower pan but I do not see an obvious way to access this space.

If amytom or any other member has experience with this space, I would appreciate a hint before I go cutting a new access hole.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Haun
TomKat
PDQ 32
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: water leaking from shower into starboard bilge

Post by amytom »

One of the hardest areas of the 32 to access. on mine there"s a four inch access plate near the head. I pulled the head and was able to reach under the floor. I put a new hose on the fitting and used the hose through the open floor board outside the head to position the new fitting under the hole. reaching under the floor I pushed the fitting up and threaded the top onto it. Can't remember if I used plumber's putty or RTV to seal the fitting to the floor but I imagine either would work.

Not a fun job but thankfully not needed often.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I'm betting a PO installed the port. I've always worried over a few screws that have fallen in there. Now I know the answer; get out the hole saw.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Post by danhaun »

It think your are correct about the PO, Thinwater. I don't have any plate to remove.

Do you think it better to drill into the riser of the step (that the head is mounted on) or remove the head first and drill down?

Dan
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

The riser is where my access plate is located. When choosing where to place it, keep in mind access to the bottom of the bolts that hold on the head. I always thought they should have been captive. Maybe they are on some boats?

Good luck,

Tom
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Post by danhaun »

Thanks for the tip. I wondered about those nuts.

I won't be doing this for a week or two. I will take try to take photos to document the innards.

Dan