Removing the propane refrigerator

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Removing the propane refrigerator

Post by danhaun »

Hi All,
It seems that refrigerator removal via the salon would be impossible given the stated dimensions of the Dometic RM 2410.

I searched the forum archive and found this question posted twice but I don't see any responses.

Please give me a hint.

Thanks in advance.

Dan Haun
TomKat PDQ 32 #11
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Removing the propane refrigerator

Post by James Power »

Hey Danhaun,

I had a quick look at removing the fridge on a 32 years ago and if memory serves we were leaning towards cutting the salon seat back at the galley to get it out. A little labour intensive but do able.

James
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Re: Removing the propane refrigerator

Post by danhaun »

Thanks, James.

I also wrote the previous owner via email and I post part of his response here to serve as a reference for future searchers. It turns out that he replaced the original some years ago. It seems to take some disassembly and bit of ballet.

I quote: "It took 2 or 3 healthy volunteers, wearing gloves. Watch the corners of it so you don't rip the vinyl headliner (look closely, you might see a small tear where we did). Take the door off the fridge. Take down the SS support post that's on the corner leading into the galley. Have old towels, rags ready to put between things so they don't get scratched up. As you bring the fridge up the galley steps it will have to be turned so that the fiberglass corner where the SS post came off protrudes into the fridge compartment and then turned to get around the corner. A replacement would have to go back in the same way. After that, it was pretty straight forward, if I recall correctly. With the slider roof of the saloon pushed all the way back, I think you had to turn the fridge again so that the top part of the door frame corner went inside the fridge. We may have had to take off the SS support post by the door too."

If this doesn't work, I'll be looking for a plan B.