Self-tacking jib attachment failure

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Self-tacking jib attachment failure

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Friend borrowed the boat yesterday and it came back with the attachment of the jib sheet on the far port side of the jib traveler pulled out of the shackle. Not sure exactly how it happened, but I have a guess. Anyway, I think Phenix's rigging is different than other PDQ 32s, as what I have (had) does NOT look standard. Here is what it looked like prior to yesterday.
IMG_20130722_152024 (Small).jpg
IMG_20130722_152024 (Small).jpg (41.5 KiB) Viewed 8472 times
The shackle that the jib sheet was attached to was actually screwed into the track, and not on a Harken car.
Here is what it looks like now.
13745503126651 (Small).jpg
13745503126651 (Small).jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 8470 times
As you can see, it looks like the shackle that the jib sheet attached to was screwed into the track. It also looks like the damage yesterday was the screw being sheered off. Regardless of how it happened, I'd like to get this fixed in the best way possible. How do other people's PDQ 32's have the jib sheet attached to the port side of the track. Pictures would be wonderful, as would be any recommendations. Thanks.
--
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: Self-tacking jib attachment failure

Post by doubledutch »

I had exactly the same failure. I bought a broken screw remover - it is slightly tapered with reverse threads that bite into the fastener after you drill a hole down the middle of the broken piece that is remaining. Once the broken piece is out you simply reinstall with a new stainless bolt.
Henry
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I've broke two drill bits and screw extractor trying to get the broken piece out.

Did all the 32s come from the factory like this?

I would think a better solution would be to get a proper car for this to attach to, but I can't seem to find one from Harken that fits the bill.
--
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

Given that you have boat number 7 and I have number 43 with the same detail it seems that all 32s must have the same connection.

I found that my extraction went reasonably easily but I did drill the largest hole I could do without damaging the thread. This left a very thin layer of material and I suspect the heat from drilling may have broken the bond between the screw and the mount. My broken bolt looked like it had some corrosion where it broke - it may be worth replacing these screws every five years or so.

Henry
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

A standard fitting, in the day. I wouldn't think there would be much strain unless dramatically over sheeted.

You could simply re-drill (one size larger) right next to it; no functional difference. There are certainly many pad eye and eye strap fittings that would do the same thing just as neatly. The main reason for the high stance is to provide a fair lead to the traveling part, but I really doubt that will matter much on this system and it does reduce strength.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html