stack pack vs sail cover

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
bg5w
skipper
skipper

stack pack vs sail cover

Post by bg5w »

I just returned from a trip down to Cancun from Tampa, and got to know what works and doesn't during the trip. One issue is getting the main down quickly, when necessary.
My main doesn't drop freely when releasing the halyard. I have to go to the mast and pull it down. It falls betwen the lazy jacks, and somewhat into the open stack pack. Since a storm was fast approaching, I simply tied it off with sail ties, instead of trying to crawl on the bimini top and close the zipper.

This raises the question as to whether a stack pack or sail cover is really more convenient. It could be my stack pack is poorly designed and does not adquately catch the sail, and maybe a better design would work.

There's also the issue of the sail not free-falling, even when dead-to-the-wind. I have lubricated the slugs with dry silicone.

Anyone have any thoughts? I have another related issue, but will address it in another post so as not to confuse topics.

Bob Gruber
Island Time 32

ps - First day out of returning from Mexico, had a 168 mile day! No BS either. Of course it was in a 2 knot northerly current, double reefed main, and 25 knot wind beam reach.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: stack pack vs sail cover

Post by doubledutch »

I have ordered a stack pack for my boat. I have a stack pack on our Caribbean boat and it is much easier to put the sail to bed even though it is a 44 versus the 32.

I also just installed a new Tides Marine sail track with new slides as I also purchased a new main sail. On releasing the halyard the sail drops on it's own until about the last 8 feet. I had similar results with my old lighter sail on the original track. I think you will always need to pull down the last bit but most of the sail should come down on it's own. Possibly your halyard is dragging somewhere along the way?

Henry
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: stack pack vs sail cover

Post by thinwater »

I prefer a cover to stack pack because I don't like the way they set. It is more work to use, but when cruising I don't use it daily (when the sail is up, it is up, and there isn't much UV at night). But I can certainly see the appeal.

My old sail hoisted and dropped very easily. My new sail needs winched up the last 4 feet, and when lowering drops until the last 8 feet, which need gently pulled. The mast head is good (climbed last week to check). It seems to be improving with every use. I suspect it is related to the heavier cloth (I went up a weight) and fresh resin.

I'm going to give the groove a good scrubing next. Perhaps some bug remains.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html