New PDQ32 mainsail report

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

New PDQ32 mainsail report

Post by doubledutch »

20140531_155535_resized.jpg
I have now had a few hours on the water with my new mainsail. I bought a North tri-radial sail constructed from their Norlam material. It has about 20 square feet of extra area with a loose foot. I had them shorten the foot a bit as the original sail foot length had no outhaul adjustment left.

The shape of the sail is excellent - I now have all of the sail area working whereas my old sail was impossible to full behind the mast when heading upwind. The loose foot is so much nicer to work with allowing easy adjustments. I feel I am getting between a half knot to a knot better speed in winds under 10 knots.

I was concerned that the added area might affect the balance but it seems that the ability to flatten the sail seems to take care of this.

Along with the new sail I installed the Tides Marine track and hardware. I was told this would reduce the effort required to raise the sail however as the new sail is a bit heavier and stiffer than the old sail I am not seeing a reduction in effort.

Henry
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Re: New PDQ32 mainsail report

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Thanks for the report. As for the Tides marine track and hardware, did you silicone spray the entire track? Or it might be that the benefit is mostly for it to come down in a few seconds. Is you main halyard let to the cockpit or do you raise it from the mast?

For the loose fitted main, what did you do to ease the load on the point of the boom where the clew attaches?
--
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I did not silicone the Tides track. It is a very slippery plastic but a little silicone might help.

My main halyard does rout to the cockpit which no doubt adds drag.

My boom is a Selden profile with a substantial steel traveller at the outhaul. It seems to handle the loading well without a boom strap.

Henry
Jeffrey Klein
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Jeffrey Klein »

We just bought a 1999 Altair classic from a nearby seller. The main is way too full and apparently blown out. Now that you have nearly two seasons, would you still recommend the sail you bought and the sail maker?
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

Yes I am still quite happy with my new sail. We have a lot of light air days where the sail really helps to keep the boat moving. When the wind picks up a bit I do find that I have to reef a little earlier as the extra area on the main tends to get out of balance with the small jib.
Jeffrey Klein
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Jeffrey Klein »

Thank you. We are in MD nr Baltimore. I'll post a pic of the old rags that came with the boat, which we have had for only about 2 weeks. Would like to have contact with your sail maker.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I got a new main from Mack Sails few years ago and am very happy with it. A number of PDQ owners like Mack. Add them to the list.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2014/ ... sails.html

(this is a PDQ 36--the PDQ 32 is worse since it does not have the larger jib.)

There are more factors to balance with the PDQ 32 than draft location. The keels are really far forward. Compare the location to most boats and you will be shocked. Thus...

* Bigger jib. A genoa really helps. However, the sheeting angle is a problem because of the stays. New tracks must be added, and you may want a genoa that ends just before the shrouds. Remember that the PDQ 36 has a different rigging style than the PDQ 32.
* Ease the traveler and make certain all of the leach tell tales are flowing. The flow will be better, the rudder angle will be less, and when you look at the speedo you will see you have picked up a 1/2 knot easy. Unless the boat is modified, the traveler should almost never be centered, not even to windward. Keep it down 6 inches. Remember that the jib affects the flow to the main, and that with a smaller jib the main stays down a little, and with no jib, even fast boats keep the traveler down even to windward.
* Reef the main first. The jib is tiny and does not require furling until the 3rd reef is in, in my opinion. This will move the balance forward, better over the keels. Even with a genoa, I reef the main first. Better balance.

The keels are also not very efficient. They are in the wrong place, are too small, and have blunt trailing edges. This means good balance requires keeping the boat free.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html