Sym-Spin Setup

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
kd5ddo
deckhand
deckhand

Sym-Spin Setup

Post by kd5ddo »

After a day of light wind sailing, I attempted to set up my spinnaker for the first time. It was met with varying levels of success as I have never worked with a sym spin before. (Some work with asym-spins on F-18 and other racing cats using a snuffer poles...)

Does anyone have photos of their setup that they can share?

I also noticed that the bottom of the spin had a plastic piece that I haven't seen before. It looked as if it is used to wrap around something to hold the tack in place, I used the furled jib. I ended up finding an image online. They call it the "Tacker" Im glad to know I was on the right track of using the jib.

Also, is it possible to gybe with a sym-spin? What about when using the tacker? With the spin going to the top of the mast and the forestay passing 'under' it, I don't see how I can gybe with it on.

Thoughts?
Please check out my travelog at http://20in20travels.com
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: Sym-Spin Setup

Post by doubledutch »

I anchor my sym on a line that I run between the bow cleats. I leave enough slack to set the tack at about the level of the top of the gull striker. This lets me move the tack from side to side for the best draw depending on where the wind is coming from. It also lets the sail set out a bit further in front which can help if you have the main up.
Tacking unfortunately requires snuffing - I only have a single block and sheet so I try to avoid the need to tack.
Sorry - I don't have any photos to help.
Henry
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, I thought the Tacker was for use with a asymmetric spinnaker.
If it is a symmetrical, two lines are attached to each corner. One is the sheet, the other is the guy. The sheet is led all the way aft to a block, then to the winch.
The guy is led through a block on the bow, and then led aft to a winch or cleat.
The sheet controls the angle and fullness, and the guy (on the opposite side) controls the height of the tack and the angle also.
When tacking, the sheet and guy are on opposite sides.
I hope you have a symm-spin, otherwise, forget it. Haha
Marc
kd5ddo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by kd5ddo »

Symmetrical spinnaker only...

I'm guessing that because the guy is led through a block on the bow, and then led aft to a winch or cleat, I would need to douse it when gybing...?

-Rick Griffin
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Yes, then the sheet controls that corner of the spin. And the guy on the opposite side controls that tack. This might all sound confusing, but because poles are not used it is really very simple. I've used the spinn. often single handed, just go slow, and take your time.
Marc
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

Just to clarify on my prior note - I am referring to an asymetrical spinnaker.
Henry
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Symetrical? Odd.

No, I would NOT tack it to the forestay. The main advantage of a full chute is going deep, and to do that the tack needs to be near the windward bow. Try running a 2:1 purchase from each bow cleat (or near there) to blocks at the tack, forming a bridle. Treat it like an asym and jibe outside.

Alternativly, if you want to use it deep, attach the 2:1 tackle to each bow and to each tack. I've done this. To jibe, center the main, bring both tacks near the bows, jibe, and ease the leeward tackle and bring the new clew back. Fussy and I didn't like it, but with teamwork it can be kept full through the jibe.

Dowse to jibe? Should work and simpler. But it isn't as cool as a jibe!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

by kd5ddo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Symmetrical spinnaker only...

I'm guessing that because the guy is led through a block on the bow, and then led aft to a winch or cleat, I would need to douse it when gybing...?

-Rick Griffin
kd5ddo
deckhand

I think that I misunderstood your question. Since you were speaking about the guy, when you said "douse it" I assumed you were referring to releasing the guy and adjusting the sheet.
If you meant dousing the sail when gybing, the answer is no. When gybing, adjust your lines as the chute swings to the new course.
The main actually requires more attention, if you have it up
Marc
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Regarding the main, just center it through jibes to start. That will keep things simpler. In fact, you may want to practice without the main up at all. Later, you can perfect jibing the main at the same time.

I used to have a symmetrical chute on a cat. Remember that the windward "sheet is the guy, and the leeward "sheet" is the sheet; they switch when jibing.
* a block at each bow turned a line with a small block on the end that served as a barber hauler or down haul of sorts; when the "sheet" is serving as a guy, the line pulled the "sheet" to the bow, and when the sheet was a "sheet" it was slack.
* The location of aft block depends on the sail and how deep you are going. If sailing deep, it may be as far forward as the shroud, but probably further back.
* To jibe, both down hauler lines were pulled tight, the sheet eased as need to make this happen, and the boat turned down wind, setting the sail dead down wind with both clews near the pulpits. Then one down haul is eased and the new sheet hauled in.

Pretty simple, once it's set up. With a crew of 2 and practice, the sail could be kept full through a jibe. The traveler was centered first and eased after the jibe.

The disadvantage of this set-up is that you can only sail fairly deep (there is no provision to ease the tack to leeward). The simplest alternative is the 2:1 tackle from the tack to each bow. Then simply jibe as an asymmetric. Inside jibe (sheet between tack and forestay) below 6 knots and outside (sheet in front of tack) above 6 knots). When in doubt, go outside, because an inside jibe in a breeze is a nice way to get a wrap. Jibing faster also helps.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html