New owner with so many questions

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Huley
deckhand
deckhand

New owner with so many questions

Post by Huley »

I just bought a 32 Altair. Hull# qpq00001I494. Is that hull #1 or just 1 for 1994 ?
Name on the boat is adventure.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: New owner with so many questions

Post by SecondWind »

From the records I have on POA owners ADVENTURE is #32001, which would make you hull number 1.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Congratulations!!! Fire away with the questions; we all had to start somewhere.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I agree with Terry, you have the first PDQ 32 made, 1994 PDQ 32 Hull #32001

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Huley
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Huley »

Geez , where to start. This boat has no house bank of batteries. Only the start batteries. Where have people set up a house bank ? The boat is in Connecticut , and I won't see it again until June. She has one 2010 motor and one 2003 Yamaha 9.9 both manual tilt. I plan to replace both motors. I think I read on another poor somewhere , that the power tilt models will hit the water when raised ? I was looking at new 9.9 high thrust , and it didn't look like the mounting bracket was much different ?
The monohull I live aboard now has 4 t105 batteries , and that seems marginal. With propane frig , and replacing the solar with some larger panels and mppt charger , I'm hoping that will be adequate . Anybody run the halyards to the cockpit ? Will probably be single handing this most of the time. Anyone done any crossings in a cat this small ? All my cat sailing has been on bigger boats.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

What made you decide to change the motors? They aren't that old; were they showing signs of wear or neglect?

I have one new motor (2014) and one from the late 90's that is on its third PDQ (thanks again Drew and Sandy). If you do decide to replace I recommend staying with the manual tilt unless medical issues require the power tilt. It's one more maintenance item to worry about.

My main halyard and reefing lines are run to the cockpit. When a PO re-rigged the boat he installed nice deck organizers to run the lines aft. I don't even have a winch on the mast at all. Nice setup for reefing in a blow or dropping the main altogether. The problem is that every turn adds more resistance so the main is harder to pull up this way.

For the batteries, I currently have four t105's in the bays by the engines in one bank. With outboards that have pull start as an option there's no need for a dedicated start bank. I have considered adding two more batteries under the cockpit aft step; tight fit vertically but it could be made to work. I have a fridge and freezer along with kids that like to watch TV and burn lights late at night. (At least a blame the kids ;) )
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Another thing for the engines.

You may have to get the "portable" tiller version and add the remote kit to get the short bracket. Talk to Shipyard Island Marina. Search the engine section of the forum for their number. They generally have the best deal going for the PDQ engines and will do the conversions for you.
Huley
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Huley »

Been an inboard diesel guy for ever. On more occasions than I would like to admit , starting the motor and having power has been a good thing. Seems that if you were already sailing at speed , getting motors manually lowered and locked in a down position could be a hand full by yourself.....I plan to live aboard and cruise full time on this boat. Just seems that starting with fresh , matched engines would be smart. Surveyor ran both motors , and they seemed fine. No clue how many hours on them. Or for that matter how many hours I can expect out of small outboards lol
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

The motors are easy to lower as gravity does the job and the lock engages automatically. I did rig a pully with a small cord to release the lock without opening the housing lids. This makes things very easy once the sails take over.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Sounds to me that much will be revealed by spending a few weeks on the boat. Read some blogs (mine is linked below).
* Engines, about 1500 hours. There are 20-year motors still running, though most get corrosion issues around 15. That said, it isn't like replacing the motors is a big deal; I've swapped 2 before lunch. As for emergencies, you really only need one to get where you are going. Many of us run only 1 at a time to save fuel and noise. At most I would swap only the 2003, but probably not. Bet you can get a 9.9 High Thrust anywhere in the world.
* Starting bank? Never. I always run them combined. Yes, I have pull-started them a few times for practice; it is just a 9.9 and many folks do that every day. It doesn't take much juice to start a 9.9. And of course, you should NEVER run the batteries below about 30%. Once you have started one engine (pulled if you had to), it will start the other if you just wait a few minutes.
* Yes, add solar. At least 150 watts, but more is better.
* I just replaced my engines and specifically did NOT get power tilt. The bracket drags. But others feel differently. I also like the manual choke better than the auto that comes with power tilt; better in cold weather (I've had both). The manual tilts are also significantly lighter.
* It is best to slow down a little before lowering the engines (<5 knots). Why not? Either the wind died or you are coming in anyway.
* Lines at the mast can go either way. Yes, you have to climb around, but there is less friction and you were probably up taking off window and sail covers anyway. As for reefing, it is easier if you are up there to pull the sail down if needed. I wouldn't rush to change it until you try it.
* More batteries? Go LED instead on key lights (cockpit, anchor, salon). It is easier, cheaper, and lighter to save than to generate and store.

Finally, remember there is a little thing called weight. I've done a few things to make my boat quicker, but one of the most important is keeping it light. If the transoms are underwater, you need to throw something away. Adding a lot of stuff is not what these boats are about. Add more batteries, rigging, dragging motors, and an arch an I bet you loose a knot. Ick.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Huley
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Huley »

Thanks everyone for the links to blogs and the info. It's going to drive me crazy , not being able to get started with this boat until June. Difficult to even start planning from a thousand miles away. Tough to run down to the boat and erasure something :/
bg5w
skipper
skipper

Post by bg5w »

This string made me wonder about something. My halyard for the main comes back to the cockpit, but it doesn't matter, as when dropping the main, I need to go to the mast to help pull it down.
Does anyone have a main that freely drops when the halyard is released, and if so, what's the secret?

thanks
Bob Gruber
Island Time
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Mine drops most of the way on its own. Didn't used to...

Clean the track using a rag around a scrap of bolt rope hauled up and down (don't forget the down haul line).

Make sure your halyard isn't too big. 1/2" line is slightly bigger than 12mm line and can cause friction on the shelves.

Make sure the shelves are rotating freely.

The only reason my sail doesn't come down all the way is the battens get caught up in the sail pack.

Of course I still have to go up to close the sail pack zipper.
kd5ddo
deckhand
deckhand

Post by kd5ddo »

I know I am lat to the conversation here, but I'd like to throw my hat in the no auto-magic tilt for the engines. I've had a few costly issues with them myself.

The attachment point does drag when the engines are up. Also, the bottom 1.5" of the engine are also in the water at all times :-(

But, and we all know Murphy's law, the tile electric tilt mechanism is something else that can break, and when it did for me it was in the UP position. Unfortunately, the engine space is pretty cramped for the 4-stroke, and impossible to get out is the motor is stuck in the up position. By the end of it all, it took 4 men, a dingy, 2 tools offered to Poseidon, before we got the bugger out. It was a pain. Not to mention that three of us sprung a number of leaks in the process (were bleeding)...

It is a nice to have thing when it works, but I'd prefer the manual option. Lower drag, you don't have to open and close the engine compartment EVERYtime to want change their position, lighter, etc... K.I.S.S. will always reign supreme on a bot in my mind.
Please check out my travelog at http://20in20travels.com