Anyone install a small diesel genset in the Altair?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Anyone install a small diesel genset in the Altair?

Post by danhaun »

Wondering about the ultra-compact Next-Gen genset. But where would it go?

Dimensions are 28* long x 15" wide x 15" high at a dry weight of only 160 lbs.

Anyone do this? Is this a bad idea?

Dan Haun
TomKat Hull #11.
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Re: Anyone install a small diesel genset in the Altair?

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Where would it be installed? And an auxiliary question would be ... What would it be used for?
--
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Post by danhaun »

My wife says we would extend our season if we could run the stateroom ac unit. So I told her I would think about it. I'm pretty sure a Honda would run the this smallish ac but I wonder if the diesel could be done.

As to where, that's what I am asking. The lazaret is too small but there is space under the berths. The forward port compartment is also available.

... was hoping that someone had done it.

Dan
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

fwiw, i have experience with the next-gen, although not on a pdq, and we ran a small a/c on our gemini with a honda 2K. i would not recommend the next-gen unless your altair has diesel aux. if not you need to think about extra/different fuel type. i think it gets way too complicate. the honda we ran on the stern steps but we never ran all night. i think the next-gen would add as much heat to the interior as the a/c would remove.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

First, it is helpful if you give the sailing area in your forum signature. I'm guessing you are Gulf Coast or Florida?

I find that I need AC in marinas and I don't really need it when anchored out (Chesapeake), as there is always some breeze. Sometimes that means making certain to anchoring in a more open area. Also, good size room fan (20"?) placed on the nav table and aimed up can work like a ceiling fan. The point is that even if I had a generator, I don't think I could bear the noise in a quiet cove. The other cruisers may not like it either. It might even be considered rude.

There are only 2 possible locations: under a bunk and in a stern locker, though it sounds too big for the latter. To me, the noise and heat under a bunk seem unacceptable. Thus, there would need to be a tank, thermal and sound insulation, good ventilation, raw water intake and discharge, plus the expense of installation. Also considerable added weight, meaning reduced performance or lengthening the transoms (I bet it is 350 pounds, installed with fuel, insulation, wiring, and plumbing--that will change the trim).

The thing about cats is they can either be tuned-up grey hounds or over weight pigs. You are headed toward the latter I fear.

For me it does not add up, but your mileage may vary. I'm satisfied with AC in the marinas only. Heck, when I was a kid AC was rare period. We did OK. But there are nights when it would be so nice. Darn.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
danhaun
skipper
skipper

Post by danhaun »

Thanks for the replies. I can now say it was 'though about' and is a bad idea.

Dan
Iriemon
skipper
skipper

Post by Iriemon »

As an alternative to A/C, I wired two Caframo fans into each stateroom at the head (interior) wall covering, outside of the reading lights. I ran the wire from the previously installed fan at the foot of the bed through the back of the boat and lockers, then through the compartment holding the fuel tank.

I'm a big fan of good airflow living down here in Miami. With the fans running you can keep cool in significantly warmer temps without A/C. They make some "white noise" but that helps me sleep, actually.