Anchoring

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Jeffrey Klein
deckhand
deckhand

Anchoring

Post by Jeffrey Klein »

For a PDQ 32, what anchor is adequate at a lighter weight? How does one lock the anchoring harness to a rope rode?
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Anchoring

Post by thinwater »

More info. Where, what bottom, how much wind?

A camel hitch or prusik hitch. A rolling hitch can slip.

This was written by test testing with a PDQ 32:

http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/ ... 951-1.html
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Jeffrey Klein
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Jeffrey Klein »

Chesapeake , mostly sandy/muddy bottom. Usually light air.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

^^ That I know something about:)!

My PDQ came with a 25# Delta. In soft mud it will drag in stronger winds (over 25 kt?), in sand or good mud it is OK. That said, I and most owners have up-graded to 35# new-age (Rocna/Manson Supreme/Mantus/SPADE) and have found this to be perfect. Generally this is backed-up with a Fortress FX-16 or similar for very soft bottoms.

1/4" G43 is good for chain (use a snubber) and 1/2" 3-strand is good if you like rope. Cutting hasn't been a problem for those who use rope. Do use a long chain-to-rope splice if you are using a windlass (not the standard backsplice), AKA "irony splice." It is MUCH smoother through the windlass.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

Just to share our experience on MIDORI. We started with a 35 lb Delta 25 feet of chain and 150 feet of 1/2 inch 3 strand anchor rode. With this set up we have permanent bridle 5/8 3 strand with the center loop at 16 foot distance from either bow. Once the anchor is deployed put a simple loop of the anchor rode threw the centre loop of the bridle and thread a belaying pin to hold the anchor road in the centre loop. My version of the bridle is a modification of a bridle demonstrated in Charles Kanter's book "Cruising Catamaran Communique" If there is interest I can take a photo once I get back to MIDORI in October.
With this setup I would use a kellet ( I used a 20 lb mushroom anchor) sliding on the anchor rode with a large anchor shackle.

When I changed to 100 feet of chain with 150 3 strand road I continue to use the same bridle with a Manson chain hook.

Our secondary on the other bow is a 25 lb Bruce, and a Delta in the hold.

Lots of weight but we are prepared if the secondary is needed.

Brian PDQ 32032 MIDORI
Brian
Iriemon
skipper
skipper

Post by Iriemon »

I purchased a 25 lb Mantus about a year ago as the day-to-day anchor on the starboard side with the windlass. I have a fortress Fx-23 mounted on the port side as a backup. It is only a 15lb anchor, but has significantly bigger flukes than the Mantus. I have an FX-37 as extra storm anchor.

The 25 lb Mantus,I knew, was on the borderline in terms of size for the PDQ 32, but I wasn't sure the 35 lb would fit, and I figured the 25 would be less weight on the bow and would be easier on the windlass, and I would have the Fortress for some extra support if needed.

The Mantus sticks like nothing I've used. Drop and bang! it bites in. Significantly better than the Delta I used to have and far superior to our old CQR. The Fortress I have not used as much, but they can be a bit trickier to set. The trick is to not use too much scope. I have not used any of the other "new generation" anchors so I can't compare the Mantus with those.

I'd used the Mantus maybe a couple dozen times without incident. We were anchored off Great Sale Cay in the northern part of the Bahamas a couple months ago in about 8' of a coarse sand/shell bottom with good scope. We had a squall hit us that evening with sustained 30-35 knot winds gusting to about 40 for about 30 minutes. The Mantus held for a while, but then started dragging. Not the kind of dragging where the anchor fouls or pulls out, but a slow crawl. I kept a lookout for other boats and my eye on the GPS to make sure we were not getting in trouble with shoreline, and we were never in any threat so I didn't put out the Fortress. When I pulled up the Mantus, the fluke was full of compacted sand/shell where it had been plowing through the bottom. The anchor had not fouled or tripped, but the force of the wind on the boat had simply overpowered the size of the fluke on the 25lb anchor.

So now I'm debating whether I should continue with the 25lb with the Fx-23 as a backup, or upgrade to a 35lb Mantus -- and feel a little more secure. I'll probably do the latter, once I determine the 35lb will fit on the bow roller.

When you say "lock the anchoring harness to a rope rode" I'm not sure what you mean? If you're talking about a bridle, I currently tie a rope from the port bow to the anchor line off the starboard bow. On the Island Spirit 37 we used to have, the bridle was preset, and I'd tie the bridle to the main anchor line which came from the center of the bow, aft of the tramp. In both cases I've tied it with a rolling hitch, which is easy to tie/untie once you've done it a couple times. I've anchored out several hundred times in this manner in all kinds of wx, and never had the rolling hitch slip. But I'd defer to Drew on this. The camel hitch is similar to a rolling hitch, so maybe I'll start using that.

If you're talking about connecting a rope rode to a chain, then a splice is the way to go as Drew discussed.

Bryan s/v Dilligaf PDQ 32.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I believe the rolling hitch failures are somewhat specific to chain. Something about the way the links move around let it begin to slip at about 500-750 pounds. I did a bunch of pull-testing with a load cell for Practical Sailor. Funny, because practically anything, even a luggage hitch, grabs lumpy chain.

Coarse sand/shell can be a really poor holding bottom. I think you're right about bigger. Hopefully someone will chime-in re. fit. I've done a lot of anchor testing and Mantus would be my first choice.

The reason Fortress has trouble setting on long scope isn't the scope, it is the weight of the chain leader sinking the shank below the flukes. Once the shank gets below the flukes it cannot set. The cure is to use the lightest possible chain. A Fortress does not need and does not like heavy chain. 1/4" G43 is the heaviest you should use.
Potcake Boy
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Potcake Boy »

Anyone had any experience with using two lines from the chain, with one to each bow, kind of like a long bridal? Thinking it may serve as a bridal and a backup rode. The second line being attached to the chain when the anchor is deployed, being easy to attach and release. Most of my sailing is in shallow waters and this seems an easy solution, maybe with a pretty good length of chain.

Ron