What are these D-rings on the bow?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Aurora
deckhand
deckhand

What are these D-rings on the bow?

Post by Aurora »

EE024F89-7519-4348-BB55-7A0EC3648669.jpeg
EE024F89-7519-4348-BB55-7A0EC3648669.jpeg (21.83 KiB) Viewed 19581 times
This seems like a dumb question, but I’ll ask it anyway. What is the purpose of these stainless D-rings on the bow of our PDQ 32?

I’m not sure if they are original or if a previous owner added them.

We have owned our 1998 PDQ 32 Serenity (hull #34) for a little over a year now. We often appreciate the thoughtful design features.

We enjoy the convenience of our self-tacking jib, but we have been thinking about different headsail options. That has us thinking about potential anchor points at the bow. As I type this I realize I haven’t looked in the MANUAL for these D-rings, but the manual is currently stashed in a bin under my partner sleeping in the cabin. I think I’ll check the manual later. :-)

Still, would love to hear what others do with these D-rings if you have them!
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: What are these D-rings on the bow?

Post by thinwater »

Never seen them. However, since they are pointing forward (not inwards) I suspect mooring. Why there would be 2 I have no idea.

Also, are there any fittings that suggest a sprit or spinnaker pole was used?

Yes, a genoa will give you considerably more speed and higher pointing, and a chute is fun and fast off the wind.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Johnsail
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Johnsail »

My only guess would be an attachment point for a permanently rigged mooring bridle?
Johnsail
Brown-Eyed Girl III
PDQ 32+
Hull # 025
Dutch Harbor, Jamestown, RI
Aurora
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Aurora »

Could be for mooring, true. Hadn’t considered that.

I don’t see any evidence of fittings for sprit or spinnaker poles. We have considered a wire bridle for a bigger headsail, and I wonder if these weird D rings were made for something like that.

We have flown the spinnaker that came with the boat once — the only day we have had suitable conditions and were headed in the right direction this year. From Block Island to Montauk. That was fantastic. We just seem to mostly sail closer to the wind, sadly.

Plus, our spinnaker still takes us a while to set up (we are newbies), and while we are sailing relatively short distances in New England, sometimes isn’t worth the time to rig. We’ll get there eventually with the main and jib (and sometimes motor when more convenient)

Does anybody else have these D-ring things??
Jwood1
skipper
skipper

Post by Jwood1 »

I don't have them on my 32. Perhaps they are for attaching guy lines for a bowsprit?
Terrapin
1997 PDQ 32 LRC #26
Punta Gorda, FL

http://terrapinsailing.com/
MIDORI
skipper
skipper

Post by MIDORI »

MIDORI, PDQ 32 hull 32 has a pair, such as your uppers. We attach a semi permanent anchor bridle to.
Brian
Brian
Aurora
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Aurora »

Thanks, Brian! I would love to see a pic of your anchor bridle on Midori if you have one or can easily take one sometime.

We are using a very simple bridle system currently.

A
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

I only have one ring on each side, but I've used them to make a bridle to hold the tack of a code zero which goes in front of the jib. I don't use it much anymore, though, because I'm old and lazy.
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

The trick to using chutes and A-sails more is to leave the rigging in place. Sheets and bridles stay rigged. Sure, they see more sun, but if you keep them in the locker and don't use them, what's the point?

Leave the rigging in place.That done, it should only take a few minutes to connect head, tack, and clew.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Aurora
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Aurora »

chicagocat wrote:I only have one ring on each side, but I've used them to make a bridle to hold the tack of a code zero which goes in front of the jib. I don't use it much anymore, though, because I'm old and lazy.
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear!

I’m not that old (yet?), but still kinda lazy. Hence, I like the self-taking jib, and want to rig another headsail on a bridle in front of the jib.

Can you tell me a bit more about your code zero? Seems like there is more than one kind of code zero, and I’m wondering which type you have and how you like it. Thanks! -A
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Hey Aurora,
I actually posted about the project and some pics a few years ago. Here's the link:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2761&p=10883#p10883

If you have any questions about it, let me know. It's obviously a rig that's meant to be up semi-perminently (I have no idea what Drew is on about, but I rarely do...).

I just chose not to put it up last year, because it was kind of a lazy year.
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Iriemon
skipper
skipper

Post by Iriemon »

The bow mounted rings are secure attachment points to use for towing or securing lines from storm prep, I believe. I recently read (I think it was Practical Sailor) that boats that used these type of bow mounted attachment points for lines in a storm/hurricane fared well in part because there is little to chaff. In prep for hurricane Irma I had two lines attached to each bow D ring to our (Helix) mooring ball, and another line through the cleat chocks on the decks for a total of 6 5/8 lines from boat to the mooring ball.