Cockpit locker leaks

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

Cockpit locker leaks

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

Cockpit locker leaks

Posted by Bob Moline on March 09, 2004 at 08:15:00:

On my PDQ32, hull #20, I have a problem with water leaking into my cockpit lockers. During

the sailing season it is not too bad but when it is stored in the yard for the winter it is

a real problem. The boat is stored with the bow pitched up so that the water will drain aft

out of the cockpit but the drains for the top of the cockpit lockers drain forward. This

causes a pocket of water to collect that eventually drains down into the lockers. Has anyone

tried putting another set of drains in the forward edge of the cockpit floor? Am I the only

one with this problem? I have replaced the rubber gasketing several times but I never seem

to be able to get it completely water-tight to standing water.

Posted by Bob Moline on March 19, 2004 at 08:41:00:

In Reply to: Cockpit locker leaks posted by Bob Moline on March 09, 2004 at 08:15:00:

Thanks for the responses.
First I have to admit that I lost the email from that I received. I think it was from a

PDQ32 owner with a hul# in the 20's. If they would please send me an email to indentify

themselves I will reply. Sorry!

Sand, thanks for the wicking idea , it is a great idea and I will try it when the ice melts.

I would like to try the drains in the forward part of the cockpit floor but has any one else

tried this or are there any thoughts on that idea.
Thanks for the help.

Posted by Sandy Daugherty 36026 Page 83 on March 11, 2004 at 10:00:00:

In Reply to: Cockpit locker leaks posted by Bob Moline on March 09, 2004 at 08:15:00:

A number of different materials can act as a wick to drain water, often over surprising

differences in height. Try a small rolled up cotton towel, laying it in the trough under the

hatch lid, and hanging a few inches belolw the low point of the trough. It will start

wicking water as soon as it gets molderately saturated, will dry out when the weather

clears, and captures a good amount of unwanted dirt and debris as a bonus. Alternative

materials include slices of synthetic sponge, or the fine grit version of "scrunge" ( a thin

plastic coated mat of scrubing stuff you can find in grocery stores.)