Effects of 32 discontinuation?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

Posted by Chris Randolph on April 01, 2004 at 13:02:00:

I haven't talked to anyone at the factory, but the Altair is no longer referenced at the website, and I assume that means

they are no longer building it.

Is there any convential wisdom about how this is likely to impact the resale value of existing 32s?

Posted by Henry Vandelinde on April 01, 2004 at 14:06:00:

In Reply to: Effects of 32 discontinuation? posted by Chris Randolph on April 01, 2004 at 13:02:00:

I was in the middle of the buying process when this issue came up so it gave me a few moments pause. Initially I was

concerned that an out of production model would diminish in value however the brokers that I had contact with felt it would

have no impact near term and over the long term they felt the value could be enhanced on the basis of supply and demand. If

one looks at the broader boat market there are many examples of boats that are holding their value in spite of being long out

of production. The critical element seems to be that the boat must be a good design and of better than average quality. I

believe the PDQ32 meets both criteria.

Posted by Martin on April 03, 2004 at 20:10:00:

In Reply to: Re: Effects of 32 discontinuation? posted by Henry Vandelinde on April 01, 2004 at 14:06:00:

Hi Henry, and welcome!

Just curious, but what will your hull number be? I'm interested to know what the total production run will be (which may or

may not be relevant to market value).

Posted by Henry Vandelinde on April 05, 2004 at 08:54:00:

In Reply to: Re: Effects of 32 discontinuation? posted by Martin on April 03, 2004 at 20:10:00:

I have purchased a used boat - hull number 43 - I done know if there are any others still in the pipeline.

Posted by David Motley on April 05, 2004 at 19:47:00:

In Reply to: Re: Effects of 32 discontinuation? posted by Henry Vandelinde on April 05, 2004 at 08:54:00:

We are newcomers to this website and members of the association (this our first posting)In November last year we purchased

320045 (Katana)built in 2000, it has been stored at PDQ's yard in Whitby, Ontario. over th winter. From what we discovered in

researching the 32 it would appear that 48 32's have been produced and whatever are on PDQ's order book.
I was at the Whitby Marina last week end and there were 11 new 34' power cats in the water ready for commissioning at the PDQ

docks.
Not another sailing PDQ in sight other than Simon's 36 Express on the hard.
If anyone can assist us in a locating a standing and running rigging diagram for the 32 we would really apprecite it. The

boat was put on the hard before we could make our own diagrams. Thoroughly enjoy the web site and look forward to meeting

some of you whose adventures we have followed in the newsletters.

Posted by Bob Johnson on April 05, 2004 at 21:36:00:

In Reply to: Re: Effects of 32 discontinuation? posted by David Motley on April 05, 2004 at 19:47:00:

I own hull 48 and I believe there were two more made after mine. For rigging I would contact the factory.They have a drawing

named rigging equipment layout which they gave me at time of purchase.They later sent me a tabulation of the standing and

running rigging although I think the standing rigging dia.s may be in error.

Posted by John Green on April 06, 2004 at 10:11:00:

In Reply to: Re: Effects of 32 discontinuation? posted by Bob Johnson on April 05, 2004 at 22:18:00:

For the record, we are the owners of Hull #51. We delivered our new boat, Varekai to her new home in Sandusky, Ohio last fall

and can't wait to get her back in the water.

With regards to the value issue, I am sure that this will have a positive effect on the resale value. As a former Corsair

owner, we experienced similar changes as the factory made changes in the product line. To my knowledge, it never had a

negative effect on the price. As one of the respondants noted, a good quality boat with an appealing design will maintain

it's value.

We searched for a long time and looked at many boats before deciding to go new. Thankfully we did not wait another season!

Look forward to crossing paths with other PDQ owners as we journey to wherever.

John Green & ML Halling
Varekai

Posted by Bob Johnson on April 05, 2004 at 22:18:00:

In Reply to: Re: Effects of 32 discontinuation? posted by Bob Johnson on April 05, 2004 at 21:36:00:

The owners assoc. winter 2004 newsletter lists all the boats made. It appears that hull 51 was the last made.