radar on a pdq32

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

radar on a pdq32

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

Posted by chris nielsen on May 01, 2004 at 08:55:00:

Has anyone installed the raytheon radar on a 32? I would love to hear all about it. Where was it installed? Who installed it? I wonder if it would fit better on the back then on the mast, will the jib hit it? Does it need an extra gaurd? My installation quote is up to 40 hours at 75. per hour. Thanks, Chris.

Posted by Chris Randolph on May 06, 2004 at 08:35:00:

In Reply to: radar on a pdq32 posted by chris nielsen on May 01, 2004 at 08:55:00:

Yes, I had a Raytheon installed in 2002, with the larger radome on the mast. I don't have all the details at hand, but I will say that I decided not to have a stainless guard installed, and haven't had any problems with the jib. If you email me directly, I'll give you the specs of the job- I love the system, but wasn't so happy with the electronics firm from Annapolis that did the work- they charged me for 50% more time than they estimated, most of which was for driving back and forth to Kent Island (for some reason, they made something like 8-10 separate trips to the boat, or at least that's what they claimed).

Chris Randolph

Posted by Sandy Daugherty PDQ 36026 Page 83 on May 04, 2004 at 16:17:00:

In Reply to: radar on a pdq32 posted by chris nielsen on May 01, 2004 at 08:55:00:

I had an older Raytheon RL9 installed on my 32 in 1999 for $2100, which included a nine foot tall 2" s.s. pole at the stern. I could see distinct shorelines at 9 miles, and could detect larger bouys to within about 80 feet The Dome was 13 feet above the water. After a lightning strike My insurance bought me an RL72, with about the same detection, and a lot easier to read in the cockpit. I've finally moved up to a 36, and am putting in a JRC 1500 MK II. I'm doing most of the work myself, but farmed out the mast work cuz it needed some other rigging stuff. The installation is not very demanding, but pulling that cable thru an overstuffed cable raceway was a trial. I tried to match the upper end of this radar's range to mast height and compromised at putting it just above the jackstay, 26' above the water. That should give me close-in target resolution to 150' away and 10' elevations on shore at the outer limit of this radar, 12 to 16 miles. I'll try to report its usefulness in tracking weather. But my biggest reason for a radar is staying away from tugs and barges on the bay in the evening. Its cooler then, the Bay is less crowded, and the winds are steadier. An eight mile warning is good enough.
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I put the JRC radar on Phenix 3 years ago. I ran the cable down the front of the mast rather than running it into the mast. Do a Search for the word Radar and you will find some details from others who have done this.