mainsail recut / replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

mainsail recut / replacement

Post by doubledutch »

My mainsail is bagged out and needs either to be recut or replaced. I would appreciate hearing from any others who have had their sails recut or who have bought replacements. Who did you deal with? Are you happy with the results? Etc....
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Two years ago, I had a new mainsail made for Phenix 32007, it was done here in Chicago with a local sailmaker. He did not use the exact shape of the old main, he changed the shape of the roach a bit and moved the battens slightly. It is a cruise-lamb sail (a mylar blend, I think). He put a dutchman system on the main as well (the best boat money I have even spent).

I am very happy. You should seek out a sailmaker who comes recommended by other boaters you know.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

mainsail recut

Post by doubledutch »

To Follow up -- I decided that it was premature to consider replacing my mainsail and instead had it serviced by North Sails - they took out the stretch and added reinforcement at the stress points - they also found the original battens to be far too flexible. With the new stiffer battens and the fabric work the sail shape is much better. The benefits are most noticable when heading upwind - both speed and pointing ability are improved.