Hatches in Cockpit

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Bravo 2
deckhand
deckhand

Hatches in Cockpit

Post by Bravo 2 »

We have recenttly purchased Windshadow, a 32 ft LRC, from Ralph and Cindy Bennett. We notice that the hinges on the hatches that open from the staterooms to the cockpit are all broken. Has anyone else experienced a problem with these hinges? Is there a fix for this problem?
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

hinges

Post by doubledutch »

I have not had a problem with my hinges. I think it is best to keep these hatches closed unless you are settled in for the night as they are very vulnerable if open while sailing.

Part 2 - I spoke too soon - when I checked my boat today I had a closer look and there are cracks at a couple hinges. Given that the hinges are a molded part of the hatch I suspect the only option short of replacement would be to open up the cracks and apply adhesive - not sure what would work best on this material.
TomKat
deckhand
deckhand

Hatch hinges in cockpit

Post by TomKat »

We own "TomKat"32011 (1995). All three of the cockpit hatch hinges show extensive cracking. Bomar has shown little help for a defective product that could be a BIG safety issue. Even with age I don't think they should break up like that. They did tell me that replacement part GL927-22 would replace just the top portion of the hatch but at $172 it's more expensive thru them than replacing the whole hatch thru Defender at $169.99 part #BOMG927-2122. We are just going to replace all three and get new screens on the process. Maybe sailnet.com has them and they have a 15% sale right now......that would help........a little!